Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R32 Conversion Help/Advice - Mk4/Mk5 Loom differences, Mk5 ECU details, Loom splice

Yep no worries mate
    Did have: 94 Corrado R32
    Now have: 2004 Golf R32

Enthusiast
    Blog Entries
    First observation,

The mk4 loom has the wrong connectors for the cam position sensors, and as this is the root of all problems with Mk4 management running on a Mk5 engine, this is not worth fiddling with to make fit. The sensors really need to stay as the Mk5 ones so the only option is to get the plugs swapped and check the pinouts, which is rather cumbersome. Really is looking best to stick with a Mk5 engine loom. No Mk5 fusebox loom yet so unable to compare this.
    1993 Dark Burgundy Pearl VR6

I'm in excatly the same position James with mk5 engine and ancilliaies but Mk4 looms and ECU (Already immob defeated and modified to plug into my mk2 fusebox).

I have written down the mk4 and mk5 pin out and have them here side by side.

Mk4:

T121/pin115 is a Blue/Brown wire 1.0 it goes to pin 2 of the N205 Inlet can control valve 1
    T121/pin120 is a Grey/Blue wire 1.0 it goes to pin 2 of the N318 Exhaust cam control valve 1

Mk5

T121/pin115 is a Purple/White wire 1.0 it goes to pin 2 of the N205 Inlet cam control valve 1
    T121/pin120 is a Purple/Blue wire 1.0 it goes to pin 2 of the N318 Exhaust cam control valve 1

Based on that its just the plug thats a different size and the wires are different colours. I'm assuming the fact that the are still called N205 and N318 that they are the same sensor and that all the pin 1's are earths?

---------- Post added at 4:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:00 PM ----------

Whats everyone else done with relay 100 for the secondry air pump?
    Mk2 golf vr6 (well its got a Corrado air box)

Enthusiast
    Blog Entries
    AFAIK, keep it, the ECU looks for the load from the relay. If it doesn't believe the SAI pump is working it will revert to non-adaptive.

Just wire in the low current side. You can see the sensing loop on the wiring diagram I believe, might even be able to dummy it with a resistor.

Enthusiast
    Blog Entries
    Right,

About time I updated this:

MK4 engine loom - Appears too much hassle to make this work on the MK5 lump. The particular setup I had would not connect to my grey cam position sensors, the plugs were too small. Mk5 loom was acquired from a breaker for £70. If you do attempt to adapt the MK4 loom, get the cam sensors, but then you'll need to check each wire corresponds to the correct pin on the ecu plug, more trouble than its worth IMHO.

MK4 fusebox loom - This is doable, the MK5 seems like rocking horse s*@t to get hold of. Mark sucessfully adapted my MK4 loom to a MK5 by changing the plugs for the lambdas, and pedal. There are a couple of plugs that also are not needed on the Mk5 engine and these can be chopped.

Mk4 ECU - no point even trying to get this working, the internals of the ecu are very difficult to decifer, even if you do get the looms to connect to the MK5 engine, the cam position sensors will report in the wrong format. If there is no choice, the sprockets and possibly cams will need exchanging with a MK4s, a very long task indeed. For the BUB engine, the part numbers required are 022906032 CD or CE (manual or auto). Both will work regardless, you will just need some extra bits deleting from the auto's ecu and you will have a couple of errors from it.

DBW pedal - currently in limbo with this one, my pedal attempts so far have led with little success. Others have had success seemingly with pedals that I haven't. It seems each ecu might be different, but my advice is to just get the mk5 r32 pedal, don't take the risk of paying for anything that might not work. Part number 1k2721503N.

Lambda sensors - Find a year and get the right lambdas for that year of engine. There are so many different lambda sensors it can be difficult to find the correct one. Use this site http://www.meat-doria.com/ it's a godsend, just put the details in of the car your engine came from. You can find the year stamped on the side of the head. It will tell you what part numbers of lambda sensor will work with said engine. I have no reason to doubt this site, if anyone finds any inconsistencies let me know I will remove it.

I'll finish this when I get home!
    Last edited by Fanjita; 31st July 2012 at 3:07 PM.

Great thread currently looking at a MK5 bub setup and I’m not 100% sure on what loom I need obviously engine loom and ecu. Do I need all the interior wiring and fuse box to run the pedal? Or what

Thanks

There's a 200+ thread in the engine bay section along with a full DIY 24v conversion thread in the wiki. You need both sides of the ecu loom which should include pedal etc.

Red 16v gone and long forgotten
    Red VR32.. Always a work in progress

Thanks mate, I’ll check it out

You will need a BUB pedal and both sides of the ECU harness. I wouldn't do this conversion again without a donor car to hand. Getting an engine from ebay with a missing or partial loom is a complete arse ache.
    Did have: 94 Corrado R32
    Now have: 2004 Golf R32

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bacon View Post
    You will need a BUB pedal and both sides of the ECU harness. I wouldn't do this conversion again without a donor car to hand. Getting an engine from ebay with a missing or partial loom is a complete arse ache.
    Yeah I’ve managed to get a full BUB wiring loom so that’s helpful.