Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dodgy steering - A cure

Dodgy steering - A cure

This will interest a handful of VR6 owners on here (DrMat, MondyVR6 et al) that are plagued with clonky and loose steering.

It was the ball joints, as I initially suspected.

It seems that at certain angles and loadings, old BJs have some slack which is undetectable with the usual checking methods.

So start with those, then the track rods, wheel bearings etc before suspecting the rack/column and you might be surprised.

Those followed by a recamber and tracking and the steering is back to it's usual weighty, feelsome and clonk-free self and also no more pulling to the left. There is also no more crashiness or tugging so I no longer avoid bumps in the road. The car just rides over bump and absorbs it like a modern car.

So there you have it. Cheapy parts + Vince = one big smile all the way home

K
    Did have: 94 Corrado R32
    Now have: 2004 Golf R32

Matt books his ball joint replacement...
    [ WARNING: the above message may contain irony, sarcasm and outright lies. ]

** Every time you think about sex, another Corrado gets written off. **

Regular
    That could be the problem with mine then too! Was there any play in your wheels cos i've tried mine and their solid as a rock but there's still clunking noises from the steering at low speeds?

VAG only please :wink:

They're only £13 odd each.

When you get the aligment redone, take it somewhere decent as the Corrados are very fussy with geometry. It has to be spot on or nothing.

K

Roby, to all intent and purposes, my suspension was 100% A OK during normal inpsection. I have asked Stealth (with me watching) to check all the suspension parts and there was no play at all, in anything.

I just had a nagging suspicion that the original Ball joints were screwed and asked them to change them regardless, and it cured the problem - completely.

There is a still a slight vagueness at the dead ahead on the motorway but from my 13 years experience of VWs, they've always been like that anyway. Around town etc, the steering is solid at any angle.

K

Presumably vince can supply VAG ones..
    You know how long it takes, kev? D'you think he'll be able to do it one saturday morning?

Matt, he will get VAG ones if you ask him to, otherwise he generally uses GSF stuff, which is Febi/Bilstein. They're OK but with heavy metal parts, I like to stick to VAG and trust me, there *is* a difference.

Yes he can do BJs, Top Mounts and Alignment in a Saturday morning. Should take approx 3 hours as you're getting TMs done at each corner aren't you? Or is it just the fronts?

K

Well the fronts are the most important, but ideally all round. So yeah, I'll give him a bell on Monday morning.
    How about brake disks too... (I always find other things to add..)

I doubt you'll find anything wrong with your rear TMs to be honest. I know Mike Edwards posted a pic of his which looked like they'd been mummified, but I'm convinced that is an isolated case. Vince stripped my entire rear end to satisfy my own fastidiousness and *all* of the consumables (TMs, top plates, rubber gaskets etc) were as new after 90,000 miles use. So it all went back on (with new parts anyway) so that I could tick those off my mental list.

Brake discs..... Have yours got a big wear ridge? I would put VAG steel on to be honest, along with a fresh set of pads. Preferably Pagid Fast road ones as they seem to work exceptionally well with VW metal.

That's quite a chunky amount of work for a 9 till 1pm day, so best discuss with Vince really.

K

Yep, disks were an "advise" at the MOT, so could do with sorting. Don't need them done right NOW though, and it's an easy job, so doesn't desperately need Vince's magic touch..
    I'd try it myself, if it weren't for the caliper rewinding bit, which could get tricky...
    And yeah, I'm gonna stick to VAG disks. Even badly worn as they are, I can stand the car on it's nose, and give the ABS a fit, even on smooth, grippy tarmac, so I think that's plenty of bite for me!