Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Dodgy steering - A cure

nope, the ball joint is the mount at the bottom of the strut which bolts/rivets onto the end of the front suspension arm.

Trackrod joints are just known as trackrod ends...
    H-YYU - '91 Pearl Grey G60... was 251.7 BHP SOLD
    J562DUB - Aqua blue G60 - RIP
    H714HKC - Tornado Red 1.8 16V - RIP

We have to keep our club as excusive as possible. The terminology gives us plenty of opportunity for belittling newcomers, we like it like that...
    I just booked to get my ball joints replaced by Stealth when it's in next month, so fingers crossed that works for me aswell as you, Kev!
    [ WARNING: the above message may contain irony, sarcasm and outright lies. ]

** Every time you think about sex, another Corrado gets written off. **

CF-oholic!
    the mk2 golf 16v's had a ball and socket type of rack which you had to change with the track rod end,he could be on about them,dont know if the early 16v corrados were the same though
    1993 corrado vr6,in flash red,spax coilovers, 17" ats dtm mesh alloys,magnex stainlessteel cat back exhaust,black electric recaro leather seats,DDI reverse glow dials,312mm audi tt brake set up..now got a GSXR750(2001)

Yes I was referring to the outer balls, the ones at the end of the wishbones.

If the inboard BJs go bad then the rack can stay put. Each track rod has a ball joint at both ends, so no need to be thinking of rack removal just yet!

When you say the steering wheel is wrenched out of your hands, do you mean the classic bump steer or the wheel just weaves left to right over bumps?

The BJs got rid of 90% of steering complaints and I'm not replacing the rack and column to cure the remaining, and very minor I hasten to add, 10%.

K
    Did have: 94 Corrado R32
    Now have: 2004 Golf R32

Quote Originally Posted by kevhaywire
    Yes I was referring to the outer balls, the ones at the end of the wishbones.

If the inboard BJs go bad then the rack can stay put. Each track rod has a ball joint at both ends, so no need to be thinking of rack removal just yet!

When you say the steering wheel is wrenched out of your hands, do you mean the classic bump steer or the wheel just weaves left to right over bumps?

The BJs got rid of 90% of steering complaints and I'm not replacing the rack and column to cure the remaining, and very minor I hasten to add, 10%.

K
    Ok I'm there!!! Cheers for all the explanations everybody - dunno why I was thinking you were talking about the trackrod joints when you actually meant the big-ass lower ball joint.

Yeah - my pet mechanic stuck his jemmy bar in all the joints a while ago and pronounced all to be A.O.K. yet it's a bit sloppy in the bends. I'll stick that job on the list next time I get a month with less than £200-worth of other problems to sort!
    Suppose I need to do the ball joints before I shell out on a 4-wheel alignment though - damn-it!

When I say it wrenches the wheel, I mean a combination of bump steer - which the 4-wheel alignment will undoubtedly help - combined with it feeling like there's a Focus RS diff in there!!

G.
    Kissed goodbye to the beloved Blackberry VR6 in Oct '04. Recently picked up a slightly dog-eared 1989 944 S2 for my next tlc project. Kinda miss the C, but every roundabout has a silver lining!!!

Quote Originally Posted by benson
    Yeah - my pet mechanic stuck his jemmy bar in all the joints a while ago and pronounced all to be A.O.K.
    Which is exactly what I was talking about !

It seems that method is not thorough enough. I watched Vince do the same to my balls and they didn't budge either. Replacing them solved the problems.... get your mechanic to explain that then

I watched Vince do the same to my balls and they didn't budge...
    Sounds painful... with a jemmy bar?!!!!

G.
    Kissed goodbye to the beloved Blackberry VR6 in Oct '04. Recently picked up a slightly dog-eared 1989 944 S2 for my next tlc project. Kinda miss the C, but every roundabout has a silver lining!!!

Nah, I had my cricket box on

CF Nutter
    VAG only please :wink:

They're only £13 odd each.

When you get the aligment redone, take it somewhere decent as the Corrados are very fussy with geometry. It has to be spot on or nothing.

K
    Might explain why mine still pulls to the left a little after four wheel alignment......
    My 1999 Nissan 200sx S14a

Much missed Corrado VR6 in Aqua Blue Pearl
    191bhp / 185lbft Torque
    CCGB Member #1686

http://www.obsessivecardetailing.co.uk

Gents - Where would be a good place to go for 4-wheel alignment for my newly lowered VR6 in Surrey? (once I've had me balls seen to!). It's only down 25mm on the H&R springs (kit# 29872)

My local Colbournes (Woking) says their pukka VW approved 4-wheel kit is "rubbish" because they don't have a proper ramp!

G.