Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VW legal department hitting out at fan websites again

VW legal department hitting out at fan websites again

VW´s legal department are at it again, enraging quite a few fns of the brand.

Doppel-Wobber, Germany´s biggest VW affinity website/forum/blogsite has a vast collection of VW Golf sales brochures on their website, for which the admin/onwer claims he´s had permission dating back to 2001.

He since has misplaced this permission (back then it was still given in writing rather than by email) and now the VW legal boffins have nothing better to do but to threaten the site with legal action unless the brochures are removed.

An outcry of anger amongst various fan communities and VW-related websites has started, including on many a Facebook page in Germany. Whether it´ll convince the legal boffins to step down is another matter, because even the die-hard fans of cars like Roccos and Rados over in Germany realise that the days that car manufacturers are interested in what the public think of the brand are over.

It´s fleet car buyers who constitute the biggest buyers in the market, and they don´t care, as long as criteria like price and reliability are met, no emotions involved.

Sad state of affairs.

Tempest
    My Mk1 Rocco, Rado and 928
    Corrado Club of GB Events Manager

Administrator
    What I don't understand is why they care about people scanning in brochures. They're material produced for cars they neither make nor sell any more, and stand to gain (or lose) nothing from people distributing copies of the brochures. Me thinks their legal department has bugger all else to do, so seem to think it's fair game going after the enthusiasts who help keep their old cars on the road. Idiots.

2001 BMW E39 530d SE Touring (Black) | 1999 BMW E39 523i SE (with Sport Pack) Saloon (Black) | Ex-Corrado Owner

VW need to be careful. "VAG Bashing" is already reaching fever pitch across loads of forums. If they start p1ssing off their loyal customers as well, well, they'll dig their own grave when everyone switches to BMW or Merc.
    Did have: 94 Corrado R32
    Now have: 2004 Golf R32

Between the lack of spare parts for older cars (in comparison to BMW for example) and their chasing people for minor copyright issues I'm genuinely getting ****ed off with VAG as a brand. And I've been a mostly loyal owner singe 1988.
    Storm grey VR6 | BBS RX2 16" | Milltek | D&G cams and map | Black cloth Recaros | Audioscape | Huge grin

Check this out - http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...5i+vs+Audi+RS3

BMW M135i vs Audi RS3

Standard M135i = £30K
    RS3 = £40K

The BMW comes out of the battle very favourably indeed.

What the hell are VAG playing at? Merely competent cars at hideously over the top prices. Firstly, I think Audi have contracted Apple syndrome. And secondly, I think a few of their cars appearing in hollywood blockbusters has gone to their heads.

Fair play, they've done their research and discovered what it is people are willing / stupid enough to pay through the nose for, but even so, few people like the Apple on wheels brand they are becoming.

Administrator
    Have to admit my enthusiasm for Volkswagen has been steadily in decline for some years, thanks in no small part to nonsense like this. I'll be interested to see how this plays out. Them continuing to produce [email protected] like this isn't helping either:

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/volk...nveiled/264207

Sigh.
    Last edited by Jim; 25th October 2012 at 2:15 PM.

2001 BMW E39 530d SE Touring (Black) | 1999 BMW E39 523i SE (with Sport Pack) Saloon (Black) | Ex-Corrado Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    What I don't understand is why they care about people scanning in brochures. They're material produced for cars they neither make nor sell any more, and stand to gain (or lose) nothing from people distributing copies of the brochures. Me thinks their legal department has bugger all else to do, so seem to think it's fair game going after the enthusiasts who help keep their old cars on the road. Idiots.
    You need to tangle with them, then you will understand. Even using the VW symbol as on this forum's banner is off side with them unless you have expressed permission. Been there and got the badge! Yes, it is seemingly silly but thats the way they have been for a long time. Nothing new. Club Scirocco came unstuck early on and we were being honest with them. Still have the letter from VW in response to something we asked, ie. use of the VW symbol in the club badge...... big no-no as far as they were concerned as are the use of their font/car model badges.

One circumstance which is close to a lot on here is Ross-Tech diagnostics programme. Its why VAG-COM has had to be renamed VCDS.

Volkswagen A.G. (Germany) do not like there interlectual property rights being abused.

Why do you think some websites disappear?

They are a company that enforces their rights.

Much the same as music industry and so on.

I've never felt any loyalty to VW anyway. Their service staff treat you with contempt, their parts department seem to think it's a big hassle when you order parts, their new cars are the same as the next manufacturer and they care not a jot about actual car enthusiasts.

Car enthusiasts do not make VW money worth talking about, and it doesn't really matter that people like and drive old VWs - they'd still sell cars regardless. Look at Kia and so on - they barely existed in this country 15years ago and sell cars by the shedload!

I always say I like old VWs, not VWs.
    1988 T25 1.7d
    1993 Corrado VR6
    2004 Mini Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Then continuing to produce [email protected] like this isn't helping either:

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/volk...nveiled/264207

Sigh.

What's with the big shiney snow shovel at the back?

What a heap o sheet. But as I say, VAG are very good at market research and it's that kind of sheet people are buying. But that still doesn't excuse their price tags.

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    It's slightly grating that VW boast about their heritage on many of their marketing campaigns on the one hand, and then undermine that heritage on the other.

On the plus side the local dealer's parts department have always been helpful.
    And they did let Classic Parts have their old tooling, and re-manufacture old VW parts of OE quality.
    2004 Skoda Fabia VRS (daily)
    1995 VW Corrado VR6 Classic Green - Koni T/A + H&R springs, BMC CDA, Climatronic, BBS RCs, 288mm brakes