Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TEVES 20 ABS system parts list?

I didn't bother in the end Tony. The seller of that Golf mentioned above didn't respond to messages so I didn't get it. Managed to get mine working finally with a little help swapping known good bits from yours. (pump & controller). I put them back though once I knew they were good. I had to replace every component of the system except for 1 front and 1 rear sensor though, including looms which I got from VR6Gar out of his breaker. I managed to get a brand spankers pedal position sensor from here too which helped. All in my members gallery.
    95 Classic Green VR6 - Jetex Cat Back|BMC CDA|VT mounts|Bilstein B12s|288mm front brakes|Mk4 Rears|Braided hoses|Daves16v shortshifter|Lupo wipers|Uprated headlight loom|
    http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=79984
    CCGB #3982

I fitted mine, was quite a big job in the end but most of its in now, no idea if it works or not yet though
    Just like a golf................But better!!!

Regular
    The reason I posted, is I fancy a Teves 20 system in mine with the aim of getting a rock solid pedal.

Might look for a local mk3 breaking.
    Cheers, Tony.

You don't get a modern feeling rock solid pedal by moving to the Teves system. Don't get me wrong it feels OK but it's not like a modern system. You need to fit a larger master cylinder for the solid feel but then you'd be loosing brake power which means you'd need to fit a bigger sevo which is what they do in modern cars for the stronger brakes.

Again, don't get me wrong, The Teves 20 system (having had it for a year and 7k) is so much better than the standard system under heavy breaking but it's not a modern feeling pedal by any stretch of the imagination, it is still quite long in the travel and a bit soft in the feel. But then ultimately, Teves 20 with 288 calipers is what came standard on late mk3 golf's so that's the year of brake feel you get. Teves 20 abs pumps are self bleeding to a point, you get 90% out with normal bleeding and given a bit of time, the rest of the air is worked out via some sort of magic and the pedal firms up a bit more.

If you have access to the kit and the inclination to fit it, I whole heartedly recommend it but don't do it under the pretense that it's a modern system.

If you don't have the kit or want to fit it, a vacuum bleed of the brakes can work wonders for the feel! I know Sean would have bleed them before selling to you and I don't doubt his ability at all but the brakes can be a bit of a pig to get 100% free of air.

Where are you anyway? You're more than welcome to give mine a drive at a meet or whatever?

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean_Jaymo View Post
    You don't get a modern feeling rock solid pedal by moving to the Teves system. Don't get me wrong it feels OK but it's not like a modern system. You need to fit a larger master cylinder for the solid feel but then you'd be loosing brake power which means you'd need to fit a bigger sevo which is what they do in modern cars for the stronger brakes.

Again, don't get me wrong, The Teves 20 system (having had it for a year and 7k) is so much better than the standard system under heavy breaking but it's not a modern feeling pedal by any stretch of the imagination, it is still quite long in the travel and a bit soft in the feel. But then ultimately, Teves 20 with 288 calipers is what came standard on late mk3 golf's so that's the year of brake feel you get. Teves 20 abs pumps are self bleeding to a point, you get 90% out with normal bleeding and given a bit of time, the rest of the air is worked out via some sort of magic and the pedal firms up a bit more.

If you have access to the kit and the inclination to fit it, I whole heartedly recommend it but don't do it under the pretense that it's a modern system.

If you don't have the kit or want to fit it, a vacuum bleed of the brakes can work wonders for the feel! I know Sean would have bleed them before selling to you and I don't doubt his ability at all but the brakes can be a bit of a pig to get 100% free of air.

Where are you anyway? You're more than welcome to give mine a drive at a meet or whatever?
    Thanks for the info. As a bit of background, I have built two MK2 VR's, and both were a pig to bleed up and get a decent pedal on and that was without bleeding an ABS pump (although I used a terrible pressure type pump and gave up resorting to the old UP-DOWN-UP-DOWN!).

I know you'll never get a rock solid feeling pedal like the newer cars - I probably worded that wrong, but thought that it might be a bit better using the more modern system. Maybe it might be because I've spent a few years away from older VW's it wasn't quite what I expected, or maybe these just need going over again to remove some of the spongeyness?

The car does have a fully working ABS system, and 288's up front.

I'm in Northampton, so not too far depending on where you are. (Updated my profile to show this too.) Maybe rolling road at Stealth later this year if it goes ahead, or E38 if your into that kind of thing
    Cheers, Tony.

May be worthwhile bleeding them again Tony. I had an utter mare with it. I put 4 litres of fluid through it yet I was still a bit unsure, although it did firm up after a little drive around. I had to rope the missus in to help me do it manually in the end! I had the abs pump off which I mentioned, changed the rear bias/compensator, changed front and rear hoses, and swapped the MC as I thought it may have been at fault, but was exactly the same. I bled everything including abs pump, clutch MC and slave, and brake MC too. The only thing I can put it down to being different from my car, was the disks and pads are slightly more worn, and I had the braided hoses.
    95 Classic Green VR6 - Jetex Cat Back|BMC CDA|VT mounts|Bilstein B12s|288mm front brakes|Mk4 Rears|Braided hoses|Daves16v shortshifter|Lupo wipers|Uprated headlight loom|
    http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=79984
    CCGB #3982

You do get a spongier pedal when you go for the 288's as the pad is so much larger. Braided lines and a vacuum bleed will do some good here. I personally don't like pressure bleeders myself, they are a bit pants and I don't like the idea of forcing air into a fluid that is hydroscopic. The Teves20 system isn't much better to bleed!

Interesting comment re pressure bleeding sean. Ive driven mine round the block and it seems to be firming up a bit but I'll bleed the fronts and mc again and see if it improves. You can't stop quickly in mine at the moment.l
    Hasan
    VR6 Auto to manual conversion, beige leather, aircon, TT comps, blue dash lights & switches, Koni TA/Nothelle springs, OBD2, 264 cams, Schrick

my car

What cap/lid do i need for the Teves20 brake fluid res? Think i've lost my original corrado one, had problems with it anyway.

Looking on vagcat at a passat with the Teves20 system, it looks like the cap is just a cap, no sensor or place to plug the existing wiring into.