Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 6 Branch stainless manifolds

Remember that it was a ******* ti fit. Can't afford £45 per hour garage costs so I think best course of action is to cut the six branch off and fit the original pattern.

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    where exactly is the split, could be weldable without taking it off the car? Which was what was possible when mine split by the joint.
    1994 Corrado VR6
    2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG
    www.totalfishkeeping.com

If it's a raceland or similar 6 branch you can take it off without taking half the car apart, I swapped mine in a carpark rather stupidly. The 6 branch tend to have an adapter flange but bolt up to the 3 bolt flange of the cat so unless it's been cut off and welded it should be a straight swap for the standard.

I do echo the statements about them being pointless unless you are running a supercharger, my old 1 just droned and increased the engine bay temps

Red 16v gone and long forgotten
    Red VR32.. Always a work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Geeba View Post
    there are some on ebay... unrealistic performance claims IMO...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-CORRAD...UAAOSwVupTqX~x
    10-20% if you add on a full stainless exhaust with sports CAT, uprated cams and a re-map!
    1995 VR6 "Black Magic Pearl"
    1995 VR6 "Mystic blue" Storm edition
    CCGB 4302

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by fendervg View Post
    I'd agree there - claims of 10-20%, so that might be 210 horses bolting straight out of the stable with one of these on - you'd have to laugh - even the best modified naturally aspirated VRs with several thousands spent on them struggle to make 210-220. But you have to love a dreamer.
    Quote Originally Posted by spen View Post
    10-20% if you add on a full stainless exhaust with sports CAT, uprated cams and a re-map!
    Exactly that - I've thrown in excess of £3k at my NA engine and if it makes 220bhp I'll be very happy.

Anyone had their cylinders bored out to 3 litres , what gains would you expect bhp?

Enthusiast
    I'm at 83mm which I think give 2931 - to be honest the pots are pretty thin, I dont think I'd go too big, possibly why VW made a whole new block for the R32... I've gone for 11:1 high compression pistons too - I still think the power gains will be negligable thou, my block was in really good condition but whilst it was in bits it seemed false economy not to do everything, I'm an OE man so I didn't fancy forced induction, but do like performance goodies ... its still yet to be put back in the car.

Think I'm going to treat my car next year to a complete rebuild with 3 litre bores and pistons to match , will put in some in 268 cams along side the existing Schrick, what do you think that will achieve 220 - 230 bhp perhaps? Maybe 2931 is what Vince refers to as his 3.0 (rounded off)cure to scored/OVULATED cylinders. Mine drinks approx 1 litre every 1000 miles, probably would be ok for another few years even more but I would like to see how she pulls with new larger internals.

3 litres or close is about as far as you can go given the tight tolerances of the block and head - would be interesting allright to see what can be achieved, although you will find plenty of sample figures/graphs for cars with similar mods in the archives on here, VR6OC and on Vortex in the US. Plenty have been down this road before with low cost vs. grins ratio returns, hence the focus now being on charging.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyo View Post
    Think I'm going to treat my car next year to a complete rebuild with 3 litre bores and pistons to match , will put in some in 268 cams along side the existing Schrick, what do you think that will achieve 220 - 230 bhp perhaps? Maybe 2931 is what Vince refers to as his 3.0 (rounded off)cure to scored/OVULATED cylinders. Mine drinks approx 1 litre every 1000 miles, probably would be ok for another few years even more but I would like to see how she pulls with new larger internals.
    I still went with the Shimmel 263 cams alongside the VGI - Vince spoke very highly of the SP263's, - but yes thats why I had my block bored, it wasn't bad but there had just started to be a slight score at the top of two of the pots.