Thread: Guide : How to remove G60 Supercharger with pics

Guide : How to remove G60 Supercharger with pics

This week I had to remove my Charger for a service and the only guide I could find online was the Matey Matey on, which was very informative but not enough pictures as I find it easier to to understand than a load of paragraphs

So I thought why not make my own guide for future reference and for other people to benefit from

Right so I started off

Pop open the bonnet and remove the drivers side Headlight and front grill

Next remove the airbox/airfilter inlet pipe by 2x hex boltstop and bottom

Next remove the radiator cover

Next remove the 4 hex bolts on the side of the charger, theyre what hold the charger in the bracket

Next remove the black plastic cover that sits on top of the charger by these 2 bolts

Then on the right hand side of the charger there is a black plastic box ( the silencer box ), undo the jubilee clips and pull off the intercooler pipe

Just underneath the black box you will see an oil feed cable, should be a silver braided hose , undo this and place up by the oil cap so I doesn't drip oil anywhere, there is also another oil feed pipe on the bottom of the charger on the side where the airbox was

Unfortunately I didn't take any pics when I undid these but you can clearly see them

Next to do is loosen and remove the tensioner bolt, and I tapped it off with a rubber mallet

Then slip the belt off the charger pulley

Next remove this pipe from the charger, its quite stiff so give it a good wiggle and a pull, I slipped a very small flathead screwdriver in and lightly levered it out

Next remove the oil dipstick and then the 4 bolts holding the black silencer box together, I found this quite difficult as the bottom 2 bolts wernt easy to get to, make sure you get a spanner on there good and firm and don't round the bolts off, just slowly crack the bolts

Next split the black box

Remove the one half of the black box out of the bay and then remove this bolt holding the other half in

Then you can access the last 2 hex bolts holding the charger in on the bracket

Then remove the last bolt on the charger support bracket, watch the metal 3 holed bracket doesn't fall down

Then I used a crowbar to slowly loosen the charger from the bracket, then with a bit of a wiggle the charger should lift out

Now theres a big empty gap where your charger used to be, get the Gunk out and start scrubbing

Then send your charger off to Matt at OCD for an overhaul and service

And there you have it, I hope this helps people out in the future...Good Luck Steve

great how to mate and I haven't even got a g60, surely a sticky???

Administrator
    Great how to - thank you very much for sharing it with everyone!

2008 BMW E61 520d Sport Touring (Carbon Black) | 1999 BMW E39 523i SE (with Sport Pack) Saloon (Black) | Ex-Corrado Owner

This needs put in the Wiki Submissions & Collaboration,
    It'll be easier to find there !

Nice one, I'll use this when i take mine out for a service.

Couple of points:

1. Use F-clamp to compress the tensioner for the supercharger polyribbed belt. No need to damage the thread of the stud protruding once the nut has been removed.

2. Now is a good time to replace that dreaded black silencer box with an RS-outlet kit (easier to remove for future G-Lader removal jobs)

3. Rather than using a long crow-bar to prise out the G-Lader, I tend to remove the console on the right hand side of the G-Lader (when standing in front of the engine bay). You will need a new seal for the engine block hole underneath when refitting.

Tempest
    My Mk1 Rocco, Rado and 928
    Corrado Club of GB Events Manager

Enthusiast
    Here is a good guide to complement this one,

http://www.corrado-club.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4107

And a video how to remove the tension, so you can slip the belt off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpuk4IY0Urg