Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spal fan wiring and constant full speed dash switch

Spal fan wiring and constant full speed dash switch

Sorry if this has been asked over and over but it may be helpfull to some of the people who recently bought the slim line fan brackets of chrisl and who will be using spal fans

Basically im rubbish with wiring but have come up with this little basic drawing of how i think i can wire in the fans using all three speeds and keeping the after run
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426091957.457216.jpg

Then to confirm after looking through google for a few days and working out how to do this the best way i found another basic drawing confirming that what i had come up with was going to be ok ! I think
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426092154.590173.jpg

What i want to know now is how i would wire and where in to the loom iv drawn to have a constant override switch in the car (dash) so that if im going to be pasting the car i can flick the switch on or if im stuck in heavy traffic i can controll them manually

Im going to get some beefy connections and proper plugs gor the fans and im going to use 27amp wire as halfords sell it and i happen to be working on one this week so its easy to get , i know most people use or used 20amp wire , i assume that 27 will be ok and will carry the current fine anyway

I thought the different fan speeds in the standard fans were in a setup in the base of the fans and the outputs on the loom were all 12v? If not I'd be keen to see the required resistances. Mine just come on at full speed.
    Hasan
    VR6 Auto to manual conversion, beige leather, aircon, TT comps, blue dash lights & switches, Koni TA/Nothelle springs, OBD2, 264 cams, Schrick

my car

I could be wrong fla but I think it's the times they come on and not the speeds ie speed one would come on at about 85-95 or so and then the ecu will switch it to speed two wich comes on at slightly higher temps , then it would change again to speed 3 wich kicks in about 115 or so and finally the after run kicks in when the car is turned off
    The temps for what speed the fans kicks in is in the definitive cooling guide

I've been talking to vag hag about all this as this is how he has done his and his all works like factory
    Are you using one fan or two as I know both of us are running two fans on the rad

Anyone else know how to wire in a constant on switch to the dash for heavy traffic or track use

And yea fla I think they are all 12v

I just put a switch across the black temp sender on my dash. Full speed on demand and it drops the idling temps right down pretty damn sharpish! Only drawback is the mahoosive current draw when it kicks in, so the engine will stammer for a second or two.
    Did have: 94 Corrado R32
    Now have: 2004 Golf R32

Cheers kev Excuse me being so dim but wires are not my strong point at all

I assume that just an inline switch on the black temp sensor wire would not activate the fans without live running down to it so would i also need to run a live from the battery or somewhere else ?

Like a say though wires arent my bag so just shooting in the dark really

Quote Originally Posted by redborbet View Post
    I could be wrong fla but I think it's the times they come on and not the speeds ie speed one would come on at about 85-95 or so and then the ecu will switch it to speed two wich comes on at slightly higher temps , then it would change again to speed 3 wich kicks in about 115 or so and finally the after run kicks in when the car is turned off
    The temps for what speed the fans kicks in is in the definitive cooling guide

I've been talking to vag hag about all this as this is how he has done his and his all works like factory
    Are you using one fan or two as I know both of us are running two fans on the rad

Anyone else know how to wire in a constant on switch to the dash for heavy traffic or track use
    Ah, ok, i thought there were different speeds of operation in the original setup.

Yes, i've got two, both of which i've wired in to speed 1 with a bridge to speed 2 in case the low temp one fails. Perhaps worth separating and wiring as you've got. How would this be adjusted for aircon though?
    Hasan
    VR6 Auto to manual conversion, beige leather, aircon, TT comps, blue dash lights & switches, Koni TA/Nothelle springs, OBD2, 264 cams, Schrick

my car

Quote Originally Posted by fla View Post
    Ah, ok, i thought there were different speeds of operation in the original setup.

Yes, i've got two, both of which i've wired in to speed 1 with a bridge to speed 2 in case the low temp one fails. Perhaps worth separating and wiring as you've got. How would this be adjusted for aircon though?
    Ok as far as im aware there was three different speeds that operated in the origional fan unit , they was controlled by how much current was let in to the fans but on our new spal fans they dont have any kind of set up they are either on or off , so as far as im aware and understand the three lives dont control fan "speed" any more as there is only one speed that the spal can run on , either nothing or full blast ! But the three lives would still control when the fans operated depending on how hot the car gets

I really wished i understood electrics more but they just dont seem to sink in no matter how much i read haha !! I think a college night course would be a help lol

I've had a brief look at the wiring over dinner and seems the fan speed is operated within the fan unit itself, the diagram shows you have 2 resistors inside and so speed 1 goes past both resistors, speed 2 goes past 1 resistor and speed 3 is direct 12v connection. So to get 3 speeds you would just need to add the right resistor into each wire and hey ho presto... 3 speed again

Red 16v gone
    Red VR32.. WIP

Great Swift. You didnt by any chance note the resistances? I imagine these would been to be ceramic with heat sinks? perhaps useful to keep them in line with the fan air flow to keep them cool, a bit like the cabin fan resistors
    Hasan

my car