Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Spal fan wiring and constant full speed dash switch

Quote Originally Posted by k993apc View Post
    Tried everything to get my fans running right. Still no luck so still on full speed.

Think it will need a compete loom. Fans switchs everything
    Where are you based matey
    4th one surely the last

Good idea Shaun. I'll try it that way. One fan to speed one and both to speed two. This could be bridged to speed 3 just in case
    Hasan
    VR6 Auto to manual conversion, beige leather, aircon, TT comps, blue dash lights & switches, Koni TA/Nothelle springs, OBD2, 264 cams, Schrick

my car

The problem you are going to have if you are wiring up speed 1 to fan 1, speed 2 to fan 2 and speed 3 to both is backfeeding so you'll need diodes.

I didn't bother looking into it as I didn't really see the need, the older fans supped soo much power the 3 stage probably just lessened the impact on the battery. The new slimline fans probably draw less power on flat out than the originals did on speed 1 and are 10x quieter anyway.

If I was going to wire it up as 3 stage I think you end up using a common ground then:

Speed 1 connected to fan 1
    Speed 2 connected to fan 2
    Speed 3 connected to both but a diode before you meet stages 1 & 2 on each wire

I'm not great at explaining but you'll go through the 4 pin plug from controller, T off to go to each fan where you'll add your diodes.

I'm sure someone more electrically minded will be able to confirm as I find electrical stuff wizardry.

Red 16v gone
    Red VR32.. WIP

would it be better to have the small fan on speed 1 and the larger on speed 2?
    Hasan
    VR6 Auto to manual conversion, beige leather, aircon, TT comps, blue dash lights & switches, Koni TA/Nothelle springs, OBD2, 264 cams, Schrick

my car

I think Iíll use the same size fans and I think Iíll wire it like this unless someone thinks a different way is better as Iím no sparky but it makes sense to me. You could put a diode on each one for piece of mind but I think that is the minimum you would need, based on you guys are running without diodes at the mo without problems.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    4th one surely the last

As I said I'm not very experienced with electrical stuff myself but looking at that diagram you'd end up with stage 2 & stage 3 powering up both fans, is that the intention?

Red 16v gone
    Red VR32.. WIP

Thatís what I want swiftkid. Only one fan on when speed one triggers two fans on when temps go higher. Found Durite do an in-line 10amp diode. Should be enough. £4 each off EBay
    4th one surely the last

Look at this bad boy. 20 amp draw, I think it would fit where the powered fan sits. You could switch it on manually when in traffic without the engine running to creep foward.
    4th one surely the last

Quote Originally Posted by 1xshaunx1 View Post
    Where are you based matey
    Birmingham mate. Trying to restore it slowly

What type of diode is required? Rectifier diode? Seem to be loads of them on ebay
    Hasan

my car