Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel tank stem , earth strap ?

Fuel tank stem , earth strap ?

I cleaned this area out today , whenever I fill up with fuel , there is water present , sat in the rubber sleeve . I removed the rubber sleeve and unblocked the tube . It Was only when I was hoovering the crap that was lodged in this area , I noticed an earth strap just hanging there . I couldn't find anywhere to attatch it though . Is this an earth or something else .
    Regards
    Rob

92 VR6 . DBP. She will never be a show car ..... But will be up there with the best of em .

The bmw seems invincible in isolation . But along side the corrado - a modern classic , we think- it has its work cut out . Autocar 1992.

Mine was the same when I did it Rob. I think it goes from the filler neck to the body. Mine had completely rotted away where it attaches to. I'll be investigating a bit further when I start on the rear end/underside though.
    95 Classic Green VR6 - Jetex Cat Back|BMC CDA|VT mounts|Bilstein B12s|288mm front brakes|Mk4 Rears|Braided hoses|Daves16v shortshifter|Lupo wipers|Uprated headlight loom|
    http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=79984
    CCGB #3982

Thanks Sean . Looks like mine has too . I've been meaning to clean it out on there for ages . Doesn't look like any rust is present , so thats one thing . Only a tiny bit on the rim .

92 VR6 . DBP. She will never be a show car ..... But will be up there with the best of em .

The bmw seems invincible in isolation . But along side the corrado - a modern classic , we think- it has its work cut out . Autocar 1992.

Fairly sure they all rust off, I think I read somewhere it's not a big deal, in place in case a spark is created while filling up.
    Here is what it looks like on a removed tank

And where it should be
    95 Classic Green Storm
    95 Flash Red VR6

For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
    For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible

Aha , thanks easy pops , I will take another look during the week .

Yep, mine is rusted and just hanging there as well - happens with age and that area just collects dirt and water as it's exposed with no arch liner to protect it - just cross your fingers when you're filling up and you'll be grand. You could use some conductive glue to put it back on.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

Mine was the same. I managed to make up a new wire and connections and soldered it back on. Turned out better than i thought but not sure how long it was disconnected so probably doesn't do much
    Just like a golf................But better!!!

Same issue with mine.
    Soldered on the new earth wire but the solder wouldn't stay attached for long on the fuel filler neck metal end guard, so had the idea of rapping bare copper mains wire around the top of filler neck and twisting the two ends so as to tighten it so it would make contact with the metal end guard, then soldered that in 2 or 3 places, then Soldered on the new earth wire to the mains wire, and bingo it worked, even tested it with my multimeter and it works.
    Might rap some duct tape around it so no mud or damp will get to it.

Much cheaper option than purchasing a new fuel tank £££ that's for sure.

Si
    Had MK2 1.8 Scirocco Scarla 1998 to 2002
    had it lowered on original wheels,
    K&N air fitler and Janspeed exhaust system.

Now have 94 M reg Corrado 2.0 16v since 2002 still got it, been off the road now since early 2015
    hoping to get it finished this year.

Also have a 2015 Seat Ibiza TSI i-tech as my daily driver. Plus I'm on The SEAT Forum.

Link to 16v torque settings & ECU pin locations.
    http://the-corrado.net/showthread.ph...fuel-pressures

You might want to have a look at the panel behind the fuel flap as it's a bit of a moisture/dirt trap up there. I noticed quite a bit of rot on mine, but luckily it ground down to clean metal and I treated it. As for the ground wire, mine rusted off as well and I never got any static sparks blowing it up at the Shell station

Quote Originally Posted by Earwig View Post
    You might want to have a look at the panel behind the fuel flap as it's a bit of a moisture/dirt trap up there. I noticed quite a bit of rot on mine, but luckily it ground down to clean metal and I treated it. As for the ground wire, mine rusted off as well and I never got any static sparks blowing it up at the Shell station
    Good to see you on here again Kev

Yeah I found the rust of doom up at the top behind where the fuel filler neck is bolted, cut it out and had to order a replacement inner rear wing section, as didn't fancy fabricating a new section piece.
    As for the not yet

Si
    Had MK2 1.8 Scirocco Scarla 1998 to 2002
    had it lowered on original wheels,
    K&N air fitler and Janspeed exhaust system.

Now have 94 M reg Corrado 2.0 16v since 2002 still got it, been off the road now since early 2015
    hoping to get it finished this year.

Also have a 2015 Seat Ibiza TSI i-tech as my daily driver. Plus I'm on The SEAT Forum.

Link to 16v torque settings & ECU pin locations.
    http://the-corrado.net/showthread.ph...fuel-pressures