Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacement Fuel Pump - VR6, 2015 and onwards

Quote Originally Posted by a_riot View Post
    It's just a pump, so many different fuel pumps will work, they don't have to be Corrado specific. The issue tends to be the fuel level sender more than the pump since fitment can be an issue. As long as the pump housing fits in the bayonet (mine even floated in the tank for months), and can house the sender, it should work just fine. You can even just buy the pump itself and keep the original housing and so on. If yours is working, and not making noise, I'd leave it alone. However, if you do change it out you may want to have fuel hose from the top hat to the pump on hand, as those tend to fail over time. Often enough they get replaced with regular fuel hose, not designed to be submerged, and turn into a black messy goo.
    The Bosch pump does come with a bit of a kit and a couple of hoses, like you mentioned its all down to is it compatible with the other fittings in the tank, so I was wondering if anyone had fitted this pump to a late VR6 and had success.I will be changing it because of the fault codes, we have pretty much eliminated everything else apart from the injectors which are also getting done. Could always be a rogue bit of wiring to though I imagine.

Fitting instructions

https://www.partsinmotion.co.uk/xlis...00WHCOB900.pdf

Cheers.
    Last edited by Keyo; 19th April 2019 at 7:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyo View Post
    The Bosch pump does come with a bit of a kit and a couple of hoses, like you mentioned its all down to is it compatible with the other fittings in the tank, so I was wondering if anyone had fitted this pump to a late VR6 and had success.I will be changing it because of the fault codes, we have pretty much eliminated everything else apart from the injectors which are also getting done. Could always be a rogue bit of wiring to though I imagine.

Fitting instructions

Cheers.
    Looks just like the one I fitted, bought from ECP, and mine's a May 95 so there's not too many later. Not the most pleasant job you'll ever do, getting the pump assy out of and back into the bayonet fitting on the bottom of the tank wrist deep in fuel! Make sure you get the seal, cover and clamping ring fitted properly on the top of the tank when you're finished, mine was on cross threaded and leaked fuel out the top of the tank when full.
    95 Classic Green VR6: Climatronic & OBD2, Grey Leather Recaro Interior
    CCGB No. 058

Great stuff TD,

I'll make a note and check the clamp ring is fitted that sounds a unfortunate you had a leak.

Not the most pleasant job for Stealth not me ha ! If it makes you feel better I cahnged a fuel pressure regulator on my drive and did not have the clip lodged on properly, turned the car over and got petrol ****ed all over my driveway . Grrr.

Cheers.

If it makes you feel better I cahnged a fuel pressure regulator on my drive and did not have the clip lodged on properly, turned the car over and got petrol ****ed all over my driveway . Grrr.
    Good skills!
    95 Classic Green VR6: Climatronic & OBD2, Grey Leather Recaro Interior
    CCGB No. 058

Fitting instructions

Cheers.
    I also had to resolder the connections from the top hat to the pump. I had a cold solder joint there that was preventing the pump from running. With new solder, new hoses, and a new pump, I'm hoping I don't have to look in there any time soon. We'll see.

What's important for the ABV 2.9 VR6 is that it is a 4 bar pump - and there aren't that many options. I've got a VDO one recently -
    part# VDO-E22-041-060Z, and this would be the standard fit on a late VR. Earlier cars had a no longer available Pierburg unit, with a different fuel sender, so when fitting a VDO pump to an early VR you also need to buy the matching fuel gauge sender and float - VDO 221-833-002-011Z.

There's a little bit of rewiring required for the sender terminals. The other pumps are for 2.8 VR engines from the Mk3 Golf etc and are rated at 3 bar.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

Oh, and it's also possible to dismantle the "swirl pot", the outer pump unit housing that locks into the bottom of the tank, with the removal of a few Torx screws, and then you can replace just the pump body which sits inside it if you can get hold of one on its own.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

Thanks Fen,

On ebay it does not state that it is 4 bar but I investigated further and it is indeed a 4 bar pump apparently, hopefully it will work with the housing , it also has a few extra fittings , VDO is the way forward though agreed.
    Last edited by Keyo; 20th April 2019 at 7:51 PM.

This is the same pump on ebay from euro carparts but more expensive and says bar 4 on description, I have been on the Bosch product site and it doesn't even mention the bar on the spec sheet for some reason so I have took my reference from them but purchased cheaper off OPIE oils, hope Euro C have got the description correct ha !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-Ele...AAAOSwBJNbVjnf

Cross reference details

FORD 1028808, 1047280, 95VW 9H307 AC, 96VW 9H307 AA
    PIERBURG 7.21981.50.0, 7.21981.55.0
    SEAT 1H0 919 651 H, 1H0 919 651 N, 1H0 919 651 P, 1H0 919 651 Q
    SKODA 6U0 919 051 B, 6U0 919 051 C
    VDO E22-041-056Z, E22-041-059Z, E22-041-060Z
    VW 1H0 919 054 AK, 1H0 919 054 J, 1H0 919 651 H, 1H0 919 651 N, 1H0 919 651 P, 1H0 919 651 Q, 6U0 919 051 B, 6U0 919 051 C
    Last edited by Keyo; 20th April 2019 at 8:20 PM.

The VDOs are bloody expensive though. Hopefully you get the correct one - the problem is that a lot of sites just list the one pump as a generic replacement without mentioning the pressure. I'm not really sure what the impact would be of running a 3 bar pump on a 2.9, as long as you had a matching FPR - but it might throw out the ECU map as it would have been tuned to 4 bar pressure.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery