Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mk3 sunroof and other sunroof repair observations

mine stopped sliding back recently and as the roof liner is out i thought i'd investigate.
    Well firstly the chrome arms havent yet broken fortunately. the problem i can clearly see though is this: the spring loaded arms need to attach to the brackets at the front but at exactly the right angle. There is a small wheel of sorts on the back of the chrome arm which looks like it has worn out on the base causing the arm to spring up too high and not engage.

I'll be taking the cassette out to clean and regrease and somehow replace or build up the worn wheel to get the right clearance. I'll take some pics to post up too.

I think the main thing is if your sunroof make any kind of abnormal noise, stop and check that the mechanism is moving correctly. These cast pieces are just not strong enough, although to be fair they are over 20 years old at the very least!
    Hasan
    VR6 Auto to manual conversion, beige leather, aircon, TT comps, blue dash lights & switches, Koni TA/Nothelle springs, OBD2, 264 cams, Schrick

my car

Yes those wheels dower out; search Google and you'll find a youtube video of someone suggesting you can use araldite to build up the wheel an then re-shape the wheel into a curve. It may work, personally I changed the units for ones from a Golf Mk3

Hi there does anyone know what parts are interchangeable from a mk3 golf mechanism? I've been told the motor is but not sure what else. I wish to retain its original look and functionality. Cheers.

I simply took the guide assemblies from the Mk3 3 and mix and matched it to the two I had removed from my Corrado cassette, cleaned everything up, lubricated with synthetic grease and re-inserted into the original Corrado cassette. From memory the Golf Mk3 cassette in its entirety is not a match. There is much online about the repair, as a moderate DIYer I'd say it is time consuming and dirty but not overly complex, it is simply a matter of working through everything methodically (a space to get everything laid out is useful and it is a dirty job, so probably not best to be in the house!!)

This link may help: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...of-repair-post

Quote Originally Posted by Red McGregor View Post
    I simply took the guide assemblies from the Mk3 3 and mix and matched it to the two I had removed from my Corrado cassette, cleaned everything up, lubricated with synthetic grease and re-inserted into the original Corrado cassette. From memory the Golf Mk3 cassette in its entirety is not a match. There is much online about the repair, as a moderate DIYer I'd say it is time consuming and dirty but not overly complex, it is simply a matter of working through everything methodically (a space to get everything laid out is useful and it is a dirty job, so probably not best to be in the house!!)

This link may help: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...of-repair-post
    Hi
    I have the same problem where my sunroof is stuck in the up tilt position (I have also posted some questions on the same subject)
    while in my local scrappy at the weekend looking for a Mk3 golf sunroof I cam across a 1996 Passat B5 with a sunroof (rare) and a mk4 golf with a sunroof. does anyone know if the mechanical parts would fit the Corrado

Pretty sure that they will not fit I'm afraid. If your sunroof is jammed up, the you should be able to lower it manually by removing he core around the switch mechanism and screwing the thread (clockwise I think) behind it while adjusting whatever is causing the jam manually. Its a fiddle but will keep you mobile until the parts are located

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    I'm rebuilding my roof at the moment, and have collected quite a few mechs. Every single Corrado roof I've come across has the same issue with one of the guides on the slider of the near side locking segment being broken, even when the cable itself hasn't yet sheared - and it is usually the same guide that has broken off. I got hold of a glass roof out of a late MK3 Golf VR6. The nearside locking segment slider on that has all the guides intact. Interestingly, the slider itself is exactly the same part number as the one in the Corrado (not the 1H0 number of the repair kit), and aside from the (removable) locking segment being black instead of chrome, looked identical to the Corrado one. The 1H0 repair kit looks slightly different - the same shape, but the guides look to be a different colour/material.

So if the sliders are the same, it would suggest that the MK3 Golf roof is less prone to breaking them - either due to the design of the MK3 Golf roof putting them under less stress, or possibly because the car had aircon (the roof doesn't get used as often?). It also suggests that the MK3 Golf slider, in the Corrado roof, may suffer the same fate eventually. Also note the 1H0 replacement slider is still available on factory order from VW, with an £80 price tag and 6 week waiting time.

I'd be interested in understanding what causes the slider guide to shear in the first place, in apparently the same place each time - is it just bad maintenance, or is there something else in the mech that weakens first?

Another interesting observation is that in every Corrado roof I've dismantled, one of the plastic feet guides on the forward slider is always slightly broken on the driver's side - I wonder if this is a factor too?
    2004 Skoda Fabia VRS (daily)
    1995 VW Corrado VR6 Classic Green - Koni T/A + H&R springs, BMC CDA, Climatronic, BBS RCs, 288mm brakes

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tony_ack View Post

I'd be interested in understanding what causes the slider guide to shear in the first place, in apparently the same place each time - is it just bad maintenance, or is there something else in the mech that weakens first?
    I found the chrome hammers drop in to a small slot cut in the frame, as they wear they drop in further and further until they stick and the motor then shears the monkey metal slider... a small strip of plasic stuck directly under the slot stops it dropping in and sticking, worth doing as belt and braces I recon.

I've purchased 2 MK3 golf glass sunroofs both from late cars, P or R reg. Plan on doing what Red has done and mix and match components. I did come across an Audi 80 (G reg) in my local scrappy with a steel (manual) sunroof and wondered if this would fit

Does anyone know if a MK2 Skoda Octavia sunroof fits?????? (I know a MK1 does) I'm not too good on my Skoda knowledge!
    1995 VR6 "Black Magic Pearl"
    1995 VR6 "Mystic blue" Storm edition
    CCGB 4302