Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VR6 Automatics

VR6 Automatics

I've seen a nice VR for sale but its automatic. I've never driven one. What's people's experience/opinions on the auto versions? Is there much difference/restrictions. Also is converting them to manual relatively straightforward? Cheers Andy.
    Back soonish..91 1.8 16v Dark burgundy pearl effect.
    Daily - Bora SE
    'Project Black' - 90 1.8 16v,

previous - mk3 8v gti, mk2 8v gti, mk1 driver.

I've been in an auto , not the same as owning one granted , but I thought it pulled really well . Obviously your restricted in the rev range , it changes up when it needs to , but I was impressed by how it drove . As for converting there are bits and pieces that need to be moved in the bay and obviously the pedal box , which is a bit of a faf . My opinion of them is , if I had one I would leave it as it is .

92 VR6 . DBP. She will never be a show car ..... But will be up there with the best of em .

The bmw seems invincible in isolation . But along side the corrado - a modern classic , we think- it has its work cut out . Autocar 1992.

mine used to be an auto. Nice lazy driving, especially in traffic. But i just fancied a manual after having been in Zak's super machine. Its not too difficult to do, just takes time, if you're handy with the spanners and dont mind being both above and below the car for a few weekends.
    If you do want to do a swop, i would strongly advise getting ALL the required bits from a breaker of the same model.
    Hasan
    VR6 Auto to manual conversion, beige leather, aircon, TT comps, blue dash lights & switches, Koni TA/Nothelle springs, OBD2, 264 cams

my car

Thanks for the input. There seems to be little info on them.
    I'd lean towards the leaving it alone option too.
    I presume there's no 'sport' option on the auto box for a longer rev etc and its quite basic??

The earlier ones had fhe sport option. But the ecu was quite adaptive to driving styles so would not change up too quickly if the pedal was on the floor, for example.
    Hasan
    VR6 Auto to manual conversion, beige leather, aircon, TT comps, blue dash lights & switches, Koni TA/Nothelle springs, OBD2, 264 cams

my car

Enthusiast
    Hmmmm just found this thread - I'm in the same position at the moment.... found an auto box corrado with a knackard gearbox... in this situation would it be better dropping a manual in?

I don't like autos in all honesty... I'm reasonably good with spanners as I've done a fair amount of Golfs over the years, but due to space limitations I wouldn't be able to get a donor car, so would have to buy the part from a breaker/ebay - is this still viable?

Certainly is. But make sure you get it from a vr not another breaker.
    Hasan

my car

Enthusiast
    Cheers fla - so I have to make sure its a Corrado VR6 gearbox? as an experienced gearbox swapper I don't suppose you have the code number I should look out for do you?

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    CCM is the one that springs to mind mate.
    You'll find it stamped on the top of the gearbox, near the shifter tower.

Enthusiast
    Cheers VEEBUBBED

this one is CHN? - would be handy as its about 5 miles from my house! LOL!

any good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-CORRADO...8AAOSwo6lWPK~R