Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: VR6 1992 Aqua blue

  1. #1
    ⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆ gotvach's Avatar
    Join Date
    30th April 2016
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    60

    VR6 1992 Aqua blue

    Hi,

    Thought I would start with a post about my 74k LC5U Aqua Blue VR6 that I picked up in May from a VW enthusiast in Swindon. Apparently it was rescued by him from a gentlemen who developed health issues and was unable to drive. So it was sat on a drive for a couple/few years. I do have more of the back story somewhere but it escapes me right now.

    I took it to VW AudiTec in Chelmsford for a service and checkup. I have been working through those issues as time/money/parts permits. Perhaps a bit of a gamble with a lit ABS light - fortunately this turned out to be two front sensors.

    Some of what I've done in the last few months.

    • Fixed non-working fog lamp(needed plugging in)
    • New Lemförder drop links
    • Fixed wipers barely touching windscreen
    • Fixed slightly binding front n/s brake
    • Replaced air filter
    • Two new Febi front ABS sensors
    • Replaced Brake Pedal Sensor
    • New drive belt (Meyle) and tensioner (Febi, I think)
    • Re-fitted MAP sensor previously held on by cable tie...
    • Removed front wheel spacers - new nuts to suit.
    • Corrected tyre pressures (front left and rear right were less than 20psi!).


    Ball joints, tie rod ends and rear axle bushes on the list things to do; and of course the sunroof is only partly working.

    Hope you enjoy the pics.

    This is on the day I collected it and half way home:






    This weekend has been great for some cleaning and polishing. The car, or colour, is quite photogenic so not actually as good as it appears and hides the stone chips around the front. However, I am looking forward to taking it to the Concorde show in Hampshire in a couple of weeks. Nothing like a car show to motivate some cleaning!



    Cheers,
    Grant
    Last edited by gotvach; 30th April 2018 at 3:10 PM. Reason: Fix image links

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by gotvach View Post
    Hi,

    Thought I would start with a post about my 74k LC5U Aqua Blue VR6 that I picked up in May from a VW enthusiast in Swindon. Apparently it was rescued by him from a gentlemen who developed health issues and was unable to drive. So it was sat on a drive for a couple/few years. I do have more of the back story somewhere but it escapes me right now.

    I took it to VW AudiTec in Chelmsford for a service and checkup. I have been working through those issues as time/money/parts permits. Perhaps a bit of a gamble with a lit ABS light - fortunately this turned out to be two front sensors.

    Some of what I've done in the last few months.

    • Fixed non-working fog lamp(needed plugging in)
    • New Lemförder drop links
    • Fixed wipers barely touching windscreen
    • Fixed slightly binding front n/s brake
    • Replaced air filter
    • Two new Febi front ABS sensors
    • Replaced Brake Pedal Sensor
    • New drive belt (Meyle) and tensioner (Febi, I think)
    • Re-fitted MAP sensor previously held on by cable tie...
    • Removed front wheel spacers - new nuts to suit.
    • Corrected tyre pressures (front left and rear right were less than 20psi!).


    Ball joints, tie rod ends and rear axle bushes on the list things to do; and of course the sunroof is only partly working.

    Hope you enjoy the pics.

    This is on the day I collected it and half way home:





    This weekend has been great for some cleaning and polishing. The car, or colour, is quite photogenic so not actually as good as it appears and hides the stone chips around the front. However, I am looking forward to taking it to the Concorde show in Hampshire in a couple of weeks. Nothing like a car show to motivate some cleaning!









    Cheers,
    Grant
    Looks good. Mine was a rescue, it had been sitting for 9 years. Replacing bits n pieces as I go. Sunroofs are an issue on these cars.


  3. #3
    ⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆ MarkR's Avatar
    Join Date
    28th January 2013
    Location
    Weald of Kent
    Posts
    354
    Looks like a nice straight example. Congratulations!
    1996 Corrado VR6 Midnight Blue
    2007 Lotus Elise 111r Super Touring
    1996 Land Rover Defender County
    2015 MINI JCW
    2016 Range Rover Sport

  4. #4
    ⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆ gotvach's Avatar
    Join Date
    30th April 2016
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Looks good. Mine was a rescue, it had been sitting for 9 years. Replacing bits n pieces as I go. Sunroofs are an issue on these cars.
    Smashing colour and the rims really suit it. I've been wanting to keep mine standard but lately I keep seeing pretty alloys on other Corrados and I'm almost tempted.

  5. #5

    VR6 1992 Aqua blue

    Quote Originally Posted by gotvach View Post
    Smashing colour and the rims really suit it. I've been wanting to keep mine standard but lately I keep seeing pretty alloys on other Corrados and I'm almost tempted.
    Ditto. All I've done is changed the suspension and wheels, (kept originals).
    It needs is new tailgate, which is in sprayshop at the mo and bonnet and rear bumper doing.


    Last edited by [email protected]; 28th April 2017 at 9:59 PM.

  6. #6
    Enthusiast p0l1wrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    10th November 2011
    Location
    Swindon
    Posts
    291
    Live in Swindon and was about to go and enquire about this car when it was sat on the drive, when I actually got round to doing it the car was gone! Very glad it went to a good home
    Aqua Blue '93 VR6

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by p0l1wrath View Post
    Live in Swindon and was about to go and enquire about this car when it was sat on the drive, when I actually got round to doing it the car was gone! Very glad it went to a good home
    The blue one ?


  8. #8
    Enthusiast p0l1wrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    10th November 2011
    Location
    Swindon
    Posts
    291
    Yeh the blue one, pretty sure it was this one, was an aqua blue VR6, K reg, and had been sat on a driveway for a while!
    Aqua Blue '93 VR6

  9. #9
    ⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆ Chuggs1's Avatar
    Join Date
    5th December 2014
    Location
    Swindon
    Posts
    1,494
    Quote Originally Posted by p0l1wrath View Post
    Live in Swindon and was about to go and enquire about this car when it was sat on the drive, when I actually got round to doing it the car was gone! Very glad it went to a good home
    Swindon ..... the secret centre of the Corrado .. lol

    Corrado VR6 - Blackberry - 95 (M) - Now sold to Pc80 (2 January 2017)..... Enjoy

  10. #10
    ⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆ gotvach's Avatar
    Join Date
    30th April 2016
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    60

    New tyres

    It has been bothering me since I discovered that one tyre was different (SZ80) to the others (TZ200). Also, on that same corner occasionally it would be noisy and almost sounded like a rear wheel bearing going. Didn't help that it was a rotational tyre and not spinning the right way either.

    After some research I opted for Bridgestone RE002. There's not a great deal of choice it seems and I wanted to stick with a brand. Found a great place called Tyre-Smart up in Witham, Essex. These guys did some extra cleaning of the wheels (apparently the insides were a bit gunky and could have led to slow leaks) and were fitted + balanced for about £65+VAT each.

    They did a free four wheel alignment check and found the front cambers and tracking was out. Not much of a surprise to me as the car was pulling to the left (although I knew the front n/s tyre had a leak). I figured it made sense to get it corrected and it has made a significant improvement! Handling and road behaviour are vastly improved. That was about £50+VAT. The Bridgestones are a little softer which made ride comfort noticeably better. On the other hand, the Firestones looked quite old and may have just hardened a bit.

    IMG_20160907_101033-small.jpg
    IMG_20160908_083909-small.jpg
    IMG_20160908_083957-small.jpg

    Apparently there's a guy with an absolutely mint green Corrado that goes there every so often too. Curious to know if that is someone on the forum

Similar Threads

  1. 2.0 16v Moonlight Blue Corrado 1992 - 89, 409 miles - SOLD
    By G_Dub in forum Cars for Sale [Corrado]
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29th March 2015, 6:04 PM
  2. Sold 1992 Corrado VR6 Moonlight Blue - SOLD
    By Purple Tom in forum Cars for Sale [Corrado]
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th August 2014, 12:15 PM
  3. For Sale 1992 2.0 16v Aqua Blue
    By Dr. Robotnik in forum Cars for Sale [Corrado]
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18th March 2014, 8:29 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
We are the world's largest community for VW's Super Coupé! Be it 8v, 16v, G60 or VR6 (or maybe something else!), everybody's welcome! If this is your first visit, be sure to click register and fill out your details before you can post.
Help us
This site is run on donations.
Please help keep the forum alive!
Follow us
advertising & sponsorship
Are you a company looking for advertising that could benefits our users? For site & forum sponsorship, please see our dedicated microsite here.