Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VR6 1992 Aqua blue

The o/s b pillar trim has been peeling away for a long time and really looks bad now. Seems every time I look at it it gets worse. I picked up a replacement some time ago that needed a minor repair and I thought now, given the weather, was a good to time to replace it. Keep it looking presentable. Didn't realise at the time that the rear card needs removing, albeit partially, in order to access the lower screw. With trim removed I was looking at the a & c pillar trim thinking if I just remove those I can possibly slide the headlining sideways and slip it out. Wrong, of course. By now I did not want to put everything back together only to have to remove it again later this year to fix the sunroof. StueyB sold me a working sunroof mechanism last year and since then I have only cleaned, greased it and checked that it worked. I figured it should be a simple case of bolting it in.

What I learned from this experience:

- The headlining is very fragile and crispy and I was waiting for it to just fold on me but luckily it didn't. Recently I saw a replacement online for well over £200...
    - Strong thumbs are needed for the seal on the sunroof panel.
    - Dremel or similar required for trimming the sunroof seal to size.
    - Not a difficult job but quite time consuming if taking care not to damage parts or break clips.
    - Useful to have a mechanism to compare and bolt straight up (especially when not having access to a garage).
    - Ingress of water will happen. I guess the 4 drain points suggest that but I did wonder about using oil or some wax on the 'seal' to help reduce the amount of water that comes in.
    - It's a small car.

What a pleasure to have a sunroof that's now useful

Legs are aching today! I try to avoid sitting on plastic or foam parts as I already killed the driver's bolster in the early days of ownership...

The plastic is undamaged so I might have a go at repairing this one. Any idea where I can find the material? Apparently it's black although to the eye I would call it dark grey.

Last edited by gotvach; 4th May 2018 at 4:49 PM. Reason: formatting.

The closest I've found was this from Prestige but I wasn't entirely convinced.

Jet black textured heavy duty faux Leather fabric upholstery Car Seats VW/BMW Fabric vinyl Leatherette Fabrics Faux Leather chair covering Material - sold by the Metre 140cm wide [Prestige Fabrics] *UK DISTRIBUTOR* https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00S3P6E..._iIf7Ab93EEBKQ

Has it actually torn from the rest of the vinyl? If not, could you not just gently stretch and stick it back on with some contact adhesive? If you do, use some clips to hold the drying joint in place.
    Hasan
    VR6 Auto to manual conversion, beige leather, aircon, TT comps, blue dash lights & switches, Koni TA/Nothelle springs, OBD2, 264 cams

my car

It hasn't torn but the material has shrunk quite a bit making the corner part tricky to put back. I noticed today that the other side is starting to do the same. No harm in trying and perhaps a bit of heat/conditioner might help in massaging it into position.

In my garage, somewhere near the top of Suffolk
    Quote Originally Posted by gotvach View Post
    It hasn't torn but the material has shrunk quite a bit making the corner part tricky to put back. I noticed today that the other side is starting to do the same. No harm in trying and perhaps a bit of heat/conditioner might help in massaging it into position.
    Got to be worth a try to fix it, little bit of heat should help.
    I used evo / bostick to fix my leather rear panels
    Graham
    20v Turbo, Audi TT Leather, 17" BBS, 330mm front discs with Brembo;s, 256mm rear, Digital dash in development
    OEM++

Yes heat is your friend. Use a hairdryer as opposed to a heat gun. Use a bit of oil on the surface to maintain its pliability.
    Hasan
    VR6 Auto to manual conversion, beige leather, aircon, TT comps, blue dash lights & switches, Koni TA/Nothelle springs, OBD2, 264 cams

my car

Got the wheels back from Spit & Polish today after a tyres off refurb. £312 for the four including tyre, removal, refitting, balancing and shorter valves.

They look much better than before and it's nice not to see any corrosion. Although I've got mixed feelings as I thought the finished quality would be much better. But maybe my expectations are too high. At least the colour matching against the centre caps is pretty good and overall the set will look much cleaner.