Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Other parts to 3D scan & print?

Administrator

Other parts to 3D scan & print?

I've been in touch with an interesting looking company to get an idea on pricing for 3D scanning and printing. They're keen to work with me, and on paper the prices look viable.. I was just scratching my head on any interior trim parts or similar which are now obsolete, that would be good candidates for 3D printing.

I'd quite like to have a go at the fuse box cover clips. Can anyone think of anything else that would be good to attempt cloning?

Cheers.

2001 BMW E39 530d SE Touring (Black) | 1999 BMW E39 523i SE (with Sport Pack) Saloon (Black) | Ex-Corrado Owner

Door lock pins and surrounds Jim! My surrounds are missing a tab or 2 to keep them down on the door card. I'm sure I can think of more though......

Also, do they just do black?
    95 Classic Green VR - Jetex Cat Back|BMC CDA|VT mounts|Bilstein B12s|288mm front brakes|Mk4 Rears|Braided hoses|BBS RX228s|Daves16v shortshifter|Lupo wipers|Uprated headlight loom|
    http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=79984
    CCGB #3982

Administrator
    Nice one - cheers Sean.

Hmm... the pins are an interesting one as I wonder whether they'll be able to scan the thread inside the pin..

I know the pins unscrew - how easy are the surrounds to remove? Like the binnacle covers before, mine were in good condition but I wrecked them in the process of removing them for 3D scanning.. I don't want to break the lock pin surrounds too if possible

Other colours would probably be possible, yes. Would have to talk to them about that and see what the options are.

2001 BMW E39 530d SE Touring (Black) | 1999 BMW E39 523i SE (with Sport Pack) Saloon (Black) | Ex-Corrado Owner

The Pins could probably be done without the thread then tapped afterward. Shouldn't be too difficult and prospective buyers could do it? It's an option I suppose. The surrounds just have little nubs at the bottom to hold them in under the wood of the card I think. One of mine is OK but the other always comes up when I unlock the car.
    95 Classic Green VR - Jetex Cat Back|BMC CDA|VT mounts|Bilstein B12s|288mm front brakes|Mk4 Rears|Braided hoses|BBS RX228s|Daves16v shortshifter|Lupo wipers|Uprated headlight loom|
    http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=79984
    CCGB #3982

If possible, the sunroof cast arm that always breaks
    Hasan
    VR6 Auto to manual conversion, beige leather, aircon, TT comps, blue dash lights & switches, Koni TA/Nothelle springs, OBD2, 264 cams, Schrick

my car

I may have some pin surrounds of you want to use them Jim can check for you

Chris
    93 Bordeaux Pearl VR6 'Verity'
    94 Blackberry VR6 - not anymore
    Project number 28
    94 green 8v

previous rados
    91 Bordeaux pearl 1.8 16v
    94 Sherry Pearl VR6
    93 Bordeaux pearl VR6
    93 Aqua Blue VR6
    94 Moonlight Blue VR6
    95 Silver 16v 2.0
    95 White 8v
    93 Flash Red
    94 Classic Green VR6
    unknown blackberry VR6
    94 green 8v
    90 green 16v
    94 Black 2.0 16v
    91 Blue 16v
    91 Black G60
    94 Grey 16v
    92 green 16v
    94 Ice Violet VR6

too many

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by seanl82 View Post
    The Pins could probably be done without the thread then tapped afterward. Shouldn't be too difficult and prospective buyers could do it? It's an option I suppose. The surrounds just have little nubs at the bottom to hold them in under the wood of the card I think. One of mine is OK but the other always comes up when I unlock the car.
    Good info.. cheers. I'm sure I could look into tapping the pins prior to sending them out

Quote Originally Posted by lilfuzzer View Post
    I may have some pin surrounds of you want to use them Jim can check for you

Cheers Chris - that'd be handy!

I've got the heater control cog drawn up in 3d, did mean to send it to someone on here but completely forgot.

I do have 3d software (auto desk inventor) if you need anything modeling, although I'm a bit rubbish at remembering to send it on. Have loads of time over Christmas to play while I'm visiting in laws down in Devon though

Red 16v gone
    Red VR32.. WIP

You got to love threads like this,
    Everybody's passion to keep our cars alive,
    Thanks Jim,much appreciated whatever you have made

Any 3D printing wizards on here? Just a little summat I need knocking up is all
    Full stealth engine rebuild | pin sharp paint | Kw arbs | SP263s | V2s | BMC | Eurospec 280 | Short shift | Full VT mounts | Dual Borla+hfc | coded Audioscapes | tt wipers | 12v lights! | refurbed RX2s | Roose | most pratty bits | few Spoonfed goodies | Mk4 rears | Tarox 6 pots | Racelogic
    Next stop: gearbox tweakery