Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idiot Attempts Coilovers Installation

Idiot Attempts Coilovers Installation

Evening all I'll keep it short. I've just attempted to fit my front AP coilovers. Tightened everything up, lowered the car and they just lift the top mount straight up. Luckily my bonnet was up otherwise I would have some nice dents in it. Where have I gone wrong? Cheers in advance.

1st Corrado and First Ever Car 1992 2.0 16v (Candy White) Sold- Still miss her to this day
    1994 VR6 (Classic Green) - AP Coilovers, Pipercross Induction Kit, Milltek Decat Pipe
    1988 T25 SIngle Cab 1.9 Petrol (Bamboo Yellow)

Regular
    Just bought a set of these myself but not fitted them. Is the top nut done up fully? Looks like it's just about on the thread in the pic?

Administrator
    Something isn't right as the top nut should screw down onto the coilover much further. With mine all done up there's about 1.5cm of thread visible above the nut.

Did you buy the right tool so that you could stop the shaft of the coilover spinning and tighten the nut up? (you'll see there is an allen head hole in the top of the strut)

2001 BMW E39 530d SE Touring (Black) | Ex-Corrado Owner

I thought the nut might be the problem but I did it as tight as it would go, obviously looking back now it wouldn't tighten anymore due to it spinning. Which tool do I require Jim?

1st Corrado and First Ever Car 1992 2.0 16v (Candy White) Sold- Still miss her to this day
    1994 VR6 (Classic Green) - AP Coilovers, Pipercross Induction Kit, Milltek Decat Pipe

Regular
    Being a nylock nut it will be tight. Could you use a swan neck ring spanner and an Allen key?

Quote Originally Posted by Rado87 View Post
    Being a nylock nut it will be tight. Could you use a swan neck ring spanner and an Allen key?

I've got a big box of random spanners including swan necks so should hopefully do the job. Cheers

Regular
    Spot on, no worries. Let us know how you get on. Can't wait to fit mine!

Administrator
    I ended up using this:

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-too...-sensor-socket

Though a swan neck spanner would have been far easier for sure

It is worth mentioning that even with that nut well tightened, the top plate will still stand a little proud of the strut housing.

2001 BMW E39 530d SE Touring (Black) | Ex-Corrado Owner

Managed to sort it out with ye olde swan neck. Car looks much better now it doesn't look likes it's on a 2 inch lift kit IMO.

Regular
    Lol! Good news all round then! Have you got any tips for fitting? I.e. Where abouts did you have the adjustment ring, did you measure up the thread??