Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rescued White VR!

Enthusiast

Rescued White VR!

This turned up this morning!

Been sat on a driveway for 3 years, the gearbox has gone but its a 2 owner car from new and the body work although very green and grubby is really good!

It's very wet and smelly as water has been running in but both inner and outer sills are solid, the gearbox (auto) has failed but theres a spare one in the boot. it's completely standard and all there so I'm looking forward (once the rain stops) to getting it up and running again.

A little worried about trying to start it, think I need to drop the oil and water etc...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nothing some TLC won't sort out. Good luck in getting her started

Nice little project. Missed this one. Would love another one on the drive.
    Corrado VR6 - Aqua Blue LC5U - 96 'N' Plate
    Black Leather - Heated Seats - Air Con
    Totally Standard and intend to keep it that way !

Hibernation for Winter ! SORN

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeba View Post
    This turned up this morning!

Been sat on a driveway for 3 years, the gearbox has gone but its a 2 owner car from new and the body work although very green and grubby is really good!

It's very wet and smelly as water has been running in but both inner and outer sills are solid, the gearbox (auto) has failed but theres a spare one in the boot. it's completely standard and all there so I'm looking forward (once the rain stops) to getting it up and running again.

A little worried about trying to start it, think I need to drop the oil and water etc...
    Yeah - I'd drop the fluids and also turn the motor over by hand off the crank a few times to ensure it's all free. Would also consider draining whatever fuel is in the tank and sticking something fresh in as 3 year old fuel won't be too good

2001 BMW E39 530d SE Touring (Black) | Ex-Corrado Owner

Nice one, best of luck and hope you don't run in to too many problems!
    95 Classic Green VR - Jetex Cat Back|BMC CDA|VT mounts|Bilstein B12s|288mm front brakes|Mk4 Rears|Braided hoses|BBS RX228s|Daves16v shortshifter|Lupo wipers|Uprated headlight loom|
    http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=79984
    CCGB #3982

Enthusiast
    Cheers guys! really chuffed with it... no rust to speak of which is a relief - spent the afternoon pressure washing the moss and muck off.. look's so much better, fitted a battery, power windows, mirrors, sunroof, central locking and spoiler all working fine! didn't try to start it as I could hear the alarm clicking, tyres keep going down but I guess that is to be expected after 3 years being stood.

Just placed a de-humidifier in to try and dry it out a little, tomorrow I'll strip the interior and start washing it all - but now its beer o'clock!

Enthusiast
    Interior is out! started washing it all yesterday but it's not easy when the weather is so rubbish

I'm having trouble moving the car about, its easy-ish to push forward but it doesnt want to roll backwards? - is this something to do with the auto box? - I've never had one but seem to remember something about not towing autos?

sounds like its in gear.

Possibly something to do with auto box or brakes binding. If it's been standing 3 years the rear calipers if not mk4 golf would possibly be binding. Have you jacked the car up to see what wheels spin.
    Last edited by delfinis38; 16th January 2017 at 9:13 AM.
    Corrado VR6 - Aqua Blue LC5U - 96 'N' Plate
    Black Leather - Heated Seats - Air Con
    Totally Standard and intend to keep it that way !

Hibernation for Winter ! SORN

Enthusiast
    Yeah we did have to give the calipers a wack and a good dose of WD40 but they seem to rotate ok... I definitely made sure it was in Neutral and I can push it forward on my own... but to push it backwards took 3 people and even that was hard work, I'll have to look at getting a winch to get it in the garage as I need to get it off the driveway.

I do need to look at MK4 calipers for the rear, have you done yours delfinis38?