Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Blue 1993 Corrado VR6 in Yeovil, Somerset

Hi Cluffstarr

Have you tried using a good pair of mole grips or you could file / grind 2 flats on the threaded section so you can get a spanner on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardecconor View Post
    Hi Cluffstarr

Have you tried using a good pair of mole grips or you could file / grind 2 flats on the threaded section so you can get a spanner on.
    That's a good idea with the mole grips which I tried. My main toolchest is at a mates so will get that back and give it a go with better tools.
    Don't have a grinder but know someone with one. That's probably the best option if the metal isn't too weak... Really annoying, especially as I was in no rush and took my time cleaning and painting everything up as I went over the last week or so...!!

No luck so far sorting the strut. Bit closer after grinding some of it away but will need more effort with a file if I'm to sort it...
    I have a question which may have an obvious answer for some... Were original VR6 front shocks oil filled or gas filled, ie should they extend under no load? Mine don't (anymore?) and as one is obviously damaged, I wonder if I just need to bite the bullet on two new B4s...

If your shocks are older then 10/15 years old then yes mate get a new set and also consider the rest of the suspension, bushes , mounts, bump stops, wishbones etc as it will probably be in the same state. Really can completley transform a car .

Quote Originally Posted by Keyo View Post
    If your shocks are older then 10/15 years old then yes mate get a new set and also consider the rest of the suspension, bushes , mounts, bump stops, wishbones etc as it will probably be in the same state. Really can completley transform a car .
    Yeah, I'm on it changing the wishbone bushes too at the minute so leaning that way very very much. Rears all done jut before I bought in late 2016. Now is the time...

Quote Originally Posted by Cluffstarr View Post
    No luck so far sorting the strut. Bit closer after grinding some of it away but will need more effort with a file if I'm to sort it...
    I have a question which may have an obvious answer for some... Were original VR6 front shocks oil filled or gas filled, ie should they extend under no load? Mine don't (anymore?) and as one is obviously damaged, I wonder if I just need to bite the bullet on two new B4s...
    Original shocks are oil filled. The Bilstein B4 are gas filled but modern gas filled struts are pretty close in comparison.
    95 Classic Green VR6 - Jetex Cat Back|BMC CDA|VT mounts|Bilstein B12s|288mm front brakes|Mk4 Rears|Braided hoses|Daves16v shortshifter|Lupo wipers|Uprated headlight loom|
    http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=79984
    CCGB #3982