Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue 1993 Corrado VR6 in Yeovil, Somerset

Blue 1993 Corrado VR6 in Yeovil, Somerset

Evening all,

So, I introduced myself here a couple of moths ago:
    http://the-corrado.net/showthread.ph...-Dark-Blue-VR6

I've wanted one of these for a long time and it's not been plain sailing since buying this one but that's mainly down to not selling other cars and a holiday getting in the way of me actually using it. Once I have sold one of the other motors (it's on EBay at the minute and fingers crossed will go to a genuine bidder), the Corrado will be sent for MOT and (assuming no horror stories) be taxed and back out on the road.

Since getting the car I have back flushed the coolant system which has resolved a hot running issue and changed the rocker cover gasket as it had oil on both sides and was leaking down into the spark plug wells on the rear bank. Since sorting those two issues, I still have an issue with the fans not running on stage 1 or 2 it would seem. Fans kick in very loudly at 110+ degrees (assume stage 3)

Plans for the car are to keep it as stock as possible and tidy it into something I can be proud of and enjoy owning / driving, as well as bring to shows and not be embarrassed against some other quality motors, the likes of which I see quite a lot of on here. Honestly, there are some fantastic rebuild / restoration threads and they give me motivation to get going on mine as soon as practically possible

First up will be tracking down this fan issue. I swapped the relay for a supposedly good one from a Golf Mk3 (same P/N) but same behaviour. Think I'm going to have to ring out the cables.
    I then need to give the Rear Spoiler mechanism a good clean as it goes up around 65mph and should be a lot lower than that.
    The car needs a service, including oil, air and fuel filters, plus I will swap the plugs. I also need to sort a blow on the exhaust which was an advisory on the last MOT. I will flush the gearbox oil too if it's not too big a job.

Picture of the car attached in its new house.
    Also, one of the engine as it stands. I would like to clean up the manifold a bit. I've seen some chap on here did his in crinkle black / dark grey (and some other bits and pieces too). Does anyone know how to go about doing that? Looked very nice. Wont be stock I know - I should probably sand it and get it back to stock silver - Is there a recommended way to do this? I also need to get some loom tape as the original loom insulation has long disappeared in a lot of areas.
    Final picture is of the replacement hose clip I put on the tiny fuel regulator pipe (Below the black pipe with the green clip) after the gasket swap - does anyone know if this is acceptable or should I go to TPS to see if I can get an OEM type one (which look very fiddly to fit!)

Oh, final question - is there an easy way to get jpegs/pics into the body of the post rather than just having pictures lumped at the end as attachments??

Look forward to hearing back from you guys and meeting some of you at any South West meets in the nearish future?
    Cheers,
    Cluffy
    Attached Images Attached Images

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆

Enthusiast
    Years ago when I worked in a panel shop we used to have an aluminum spray that we used to spray on bare metal prior to or after welding I seem to remember... it was something like 99% pure aluminum or something like that, I sprayed all my inlet manifold and other ali bits on my MK2 GTI with that and it looked fantastic.... I really want to find that again... came in a dark red/burgandy can if anyone remembers? - could be worth looking for something like that if you want the stock look for your manifold?
    Last edited by Geeba; 5th May 2017 at 8:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geeba View Post
    Years ago when I worked in a panel shop we used to have an aluminum spray that we used to spray on bare metal prior to or after welding I seem to remember... it was something like 99% pure aluminum or something like that, I sprayed all my inlet manifold and other ali bits on my MK2 GTI with that and it look fantastic.... I really want to find that again... came in a dark red/burgandy can if anyone remembers? - could be worth looking for something like that if you want the stock look for your manifold?
    Hi Geeba,
    Sounds ideal! What have other people done? Is it a case of just handing it over to a power coating company who will blast it and once smooth will give it a painted, even finish?

I'm also on the hunt for wheel refurbisment recommendations. All of the Speedlines need sorting out, including some big kerb damage to the rim of the nearside front....

Enthusiast
    Hi Cluffy - yeah it really was good stuff... I'll try and find it again, I'm not a big fan of powder coating mainifold etc... like you I'm a bit more of an OEM look, to make it smooth I think you would have to sand it down.

Pristine wheels are apparently very good, I've not used them but probably will when I get to the wheels

http://www.pristinealloywheels.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Geeba View Post
    Years ago when I worked in a panel shop we used to have an aluminum spray that we used to spray on bare metal prior to or after welding I seem to remember... it was something like 99% pure aluminum or something like that, I sprayed all my inlet manifold and other ali bits on my MK2 GTI with that and it looked fantastic.... I really want to find that again... came in a dark red/burgandy can if anyone remembers? - could be worth looking for something like that if you want the stock look for your manifold?
    In my industry (oil and gas) we use what's called TSA - thermally sprayed aluminium. I wonder if its the same thing as you used?
    Hasan
    VR6 Auto to manual conversion, beige leather, aircon, TT comps, blue dash lights & switches, Koni TA/Nothelle springs, OBD2, 264 cams, Schrick

my car

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    Vapour blasting is supposed to seal over the pores of the alloy so finger marks etc wipe off, dry blasting does the opposite.

I think Kip has had his mani vapour blasted?

Quote Originally Posted by fla View Post
    In my industry (oil and gas) we use what's called TSA - thermally sprayed aluminium. I wonder if its the same thing as you used?
    Thermal Spray is something completely different Hasan.

Ian.
    CCGB Membership Secretary

## CCGB 3243 ##

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by fla View Post
    Hi Hasan... I seem to remember it was used after welding for corrosion protection, I'm going to try and find it if its still available... it was great stuff and made the manifolds look like new castings and not painted.

With my engine out day fast approaching I'm going to need some

I've got a vapour blasted upper inlet manifold in the garage to fit at some point. Twas an eBay bargain at £30!
    95 Classic Green VR - Jetex Cat Back|BMC CDA|VT mounts|Bilstein B12s|288mm front brakes|Mk4 Rears|Braided hoses|BBS RX228s|Daves16v shortshifter|Lupo wipers|Uprated headlight loom|
    http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=79984
    CCGB #3982