Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How can I keep my C red and not fade pink?

How can I keep my C red and not fade pink?

As above, My car is in pretty good nick for age and mileage, just the bonnet has faded a bit which I have sorted with auto glym and t cut, but how can I get it to stay like that and stop it from going pink like all vws it lives outside so I just wanna do my best, Any advice?
    2.0 16v, Flash Red, Standard!

Administrator

Re: How can I keep my C red and not fade pink?

You need something to seal the polish after using it. Autoglyms extra gloss protection (put it on after the Super Resin Polish) does a really good job of keeping the car red

Highly reccommended!

--= | 1995 Corrado 2.9 VR6 (Classic Green) | =--

| Old Corrado's :- Corrado 2.0 16v (pic) | Corrado G60 (pic) | Corrado 2.0 16v (pic) |

ive got some of that, ill do just that! Cheers, how often will i need to keep re applying t cut,polish,super resin stuff?

Have a look in the car care sub section of this forum....loads of tips in there.
    Don't bother with T-cut as super resin polish is the same but better...i usually polish mine every time i wash it, but then i'm just a tart.
    http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...neuk/bw9-1.jpg
    1995 2.0 16v - Classic Green
    2000 1.9 Mk4 Golf GT TDI 115

One polish should do the trick, then you'll need to apply wax. This will seal the paint and after a few more layers will help to keep it fade-free.

Mine is responding well to waxing and after the third full wax it is almost how it should be!

A friend of mine put some Auto Glym high gloss protection on his red VX and left it on for a whole weekend before removing it. The shine was amazing!
    1993 VR6

Guys...Waxing/sealing isn't the absolute trick here...

Basically be sure to keep polishing,along with waxing obviously.
    You have to keep the paint fresh,a wax/sealant will degrade no matter how expensive.No wax/sealant in the world will protect from uva/uvb degredation at 100% efficiency for 100% of the time its on the car,so its a slow sliding scale degredation that will eventually show up as faded paint.

Seriously,keep on top with a polish as often as you can (even inbetween waxing) everyones mad on bloody wax! Thinking that a shine/protection only comes from wax! It dosn't.

Fading comes from uva/uvb degredation as above,plus fine scratches refracting light all over the place...Polishing using correct implements/techniques keeps the paint clean,keeps on top of fine scratches,and helps win the battle vs uva/uvb.

Neil.

Administrator

Can you not overpolish the paint though mate? I've always been alarmed at how red the polishing cloths get that I use when using SRP on my Rado...? Worried that if I polish that often, i'll be down to the primer!

--= | 1995 Corrado 2.9 VR6 (Classic Green) | =--

| Old Corrado's :- Corrado 2.0 16v (pic) | Corrado G60 (pic) | Corrado 2.0 16v (pic) |

Aye...But it all depends on how soft the paint is Jim.

A little paint colour on the cloth isn't actually a bad sign at all,if anything its at the stage where its actually telling you its very much ready for a wax...
    If you tend to get a lot showing on the cloth everytime...Best to jump back to a paint cleaner/one more polish/then wax...Just as a final preperation if you will for wax.
    After this stick with washing/waxing for a good few months and you will find that next time you polish it won't bleed as much...But just as importantly your paint is well prepped and should be looking good.

At this stage you will have reached a level where the paint is easily kept on top of,and will require only washing/waxing with he odd polish inbetween,the amount of times you polish depends on how well its prepped from the start and how soft the paint is.

Its a minefield

Neil.

Also...Just as importantly...Be absolutely sure to use microfibre applicators and microfibre cloths for removal...Any mutton rag type crap will be continuously battling against the products that you are using and the time/effort you are putting in.
    Very important.

Neil.

cheers guys

whats a good wax to use(how much is it) never waxed before but will give it a go, anything i need to be aware of first?

cheers

Olly