Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are my tyres legal???????

Regular

Are my tyres legal???????

I have never fully understood the law when it comes to tyre wear hence why i have always changed my tyres as soon as i've noticed them to be anywhere near the limit. The present tyres on my car have an unusual pattern that i've not really come across before... I've recently purchased the car so would be grateful if someone could advise, as to whether or not, my tyres are legal... Please see following pictures

Drivers side front tyre outer grip looks to be completely worn however the majority of the inner tyre is still above the limits

Front passenger side:

Tyres on the rear are near new:

It's only the outer section of the front tyres that are cause for concern, any help/advice would be appreciated

He's a Very Naughty Boy
    1.6mm across the central 3/4 around the entire circumference of the tyre.

Regular
    Im aware of the limit being 1.6mm but not sure if the outer section of the tyre would earn me 3 points on my licence.

Enthusiast
    Looking at the comparison between front and rear I would say they would fail an MoT, therefore not legal.

Looks like you have too much toe-in, hence scrubbing the outer edge off.

Regular
    The inner edge has worn the same.... the centre section of the tire is clearly above the limit all round.

Items for Sale
    Underinflation...

...:::Supercharged:::...

1.8 G60 & 1.9 TDI

Please help the forum stay alive!
    Want to help monthly? Why not

I'd say you'd only JUST get away with those if stopped but tbh i'd get them changed.

While your at it get your alignment checked if its scrubbing on the edge as its either out or like above your tyre pressures are too low.

If your alignment had been ok then tbh the even wear across that tyre would still be legal as it looks ok on the inner edge.

Is your car lowered? May explain why its worn.

As a guide you'll find raised lumps in between certain areas of tread. (wear indicators).
    These are a useful indicator as to when your tyres are low for the average person thats not well up on whats legal and whats not. Usually they are around 2mm of tread high.
    Last edited by Macdaddy; 5th May 2011 at 7:20 AM.

Regular

Thanks Mac , I'll get them changed the weekend And yes, the car is lowered, the inner and outer section of the tyre has definitely worn evenly.... From the info I've gathered so far , tyres are legal but need changing soon. Just wanted to make sure I am okay to drive the car to the tyre fitters.. Knowing my luck, I'll get stopped.

Anyone know where i can get 225 40 18's at a reasonable price ?? the runways on my car at the mo are crap so looking for a decent make, happy to pay the extra few quid...
    Last edited by Storm_VR6; 5th May 2011 at 4:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    Items for Sale
    either way, with the tread that low they won't perform as intended and could be very nasty if we get a heavy downpour,
    you do remember what rain is like? - it's been bone dry round here for weeks

tread wear markers are a good guide, once down to them, as your's are, they are well past what you need

Regular
    Totally agree David and I intend to change the tyres asap.... Just making sure I fully understand the law on tyre wear, legal/illegal ...