Sign in to follow this  
briggy

Suspension advice & explanation

Hi,

I know basically nothing about suspension set ups, so I need some advice before taking my VR6 to a garage.

The car has the standard set up at the moment. I noticed today that the rear wheel arch is sitting a fair bit higher on the left hand side than the right hand side. At a guess it's about 2 inches. I've also started getting a sinlge knocking sound when going round right hand bends. The obviously needs sorted. Depending on what the problem is, I'm thinking that now may be a good time to get it lowered. Can someone please explain what's involved in lowering i.e. which components make up the suspension and which ones would need replaced. If the problem is with something that's not involved with lowering, then I'll just replace it. But if I'm going to have to replace something that would need to be replaced when lowering, then now's a good time to do it.

Cheers,

Briggy

Ok, sounds like one of your springs may be broken or top mount knackered...

Bassically you need a set of springs and shocks (have a read on hear about what people recomend) and you also want to replace the topmounts (mount and bearing) and bumpstops all round

..or you could go for a set of coilovers (which are height adjustable springs/shocks/bumpstops in one - you'll still need the top mounts)

Have been toying with the Idea of going the coilover route, but was wondering why pay out £500+ if a 40mm/60mm drop suits the car and I maybe will never adjust it again.

I know you have the adjustability with the coilovers but what other pros and cons are there for the different types of suspension