Sign in to follow this  
james_88

G60 Cooling System

Once the engine gets up to running temperature, there's loads of steam bubbling out of the expansion tank. I've just had the head gasket replaced so other than that what could be causing this?

The temperature warning light also flashes, but the water temperature is around 80 degrees which seems ok and the engine doesn't seem to be overheating! The top hose to the radiator gets hot but is still easy to squeeze, ie. not brick hard like i think it should be. The water pump was replaced during the head gasket, don't know if this helps at all.

Also, could the temperature sensor need replacing if it's indicating 80 degrees but the water is clearly at boiling point?

And finally, after the rebuild there's a bit of black smoke coming out the exhaust, is this normal and will it settle down with time?

Cheers, James

My G60 had a similar problem. It turned out that this small rubber washer on the screw lid of the expansion tank had been forced up by it overheating. Once it was in the up position it stayed there and there was nothing for the system to pressurise against. The system kept boiling out through the top of the expansion tank, no matter how many times I refilled it even when the engine wasnt particuarly hot.

I suppose if this is what is happening it doesnt explain why the washer has moved in the first place. A 2 hour traffic jam on the M25 on the hottest day of the year did for mine, once i repositioned it I had no more problems.

I hope your problem is as simple as mine was!

Yes i have had similar problems on my old 16v and that was just the seal on the expansion tank .Hope thats all yours is too.