Sign in to follow this  
Roger Blassberg

Tyre Pressures

I was standing waiting to use the airline at the local garage at the weekend; in front of me was a lady with a Mk 3 Golf Estate. The air machine was the type where you set the pressure you want, connect the line to the tyre valve and it adjusts the pressure, up or down, then beeps at you.

I noticed that the lady had set her front tyres at 19 psi and was about to drive off, so I said to her that I was sure she had under-inflated her tyres; she said, no, that's what the little sign on her fuel cap said.

So we had a look.

And sure enough she had mis read 1.9 bar as 19 psi. The sticker value was written only in bar, the airline only in psi !!!! She had dangerously low tyre pressures, by about 32%, due to a common misunderstanding, enough to cause a serious or fatal accident in an extreme situation.

The purpose of this is not to make fun of lady drivers, but to ask you to make sure that ALL the people you know are aware of this potential hazard and to be very careful when adjusting tyre pressures with unfamiliar equipment. It is of course everyone's responsibility to know their car and maintain it correctly, but surely ignorance shouldn't be a capital offence........

Best wishes

RB