Sign in to follow this  
saysomestuff

Timing

Hi All,

My valver has developed a pretty constant knocking kind of knocka-knocka-knocka etc at tickover, it's more noticable inside the car than with the bonnet open.

Could this be something as simple as the timing being out or could I be looking at something a bit more serious?

EDIT - it's definately coming from the engine BTW, just more noticable inside away from usual engine noise.

I´m having the same problem in my G60...

I believe that engine mounts are gone (maybe just the front one), because when i push some gears hard i can´t even shift nicely, and then the gearbox crunches! :shock:

It´s an annoying ride... :wink:

Nah, the noise in mine is definately coming from in the block, corradowales was round last night and reckoned it could be tappets, looking through the forum I think this could be the case - gonna try that wynn's hydraulic lifter thing and see if there's any improvement

If you think it could be the tappets, try dropping the sump and cleaning out the pickup for the oil pump. Obviously it'll need an oil change at the same time. I am not a big fan of additives personally.

It's a bit treating the symptoms and not the disease.

Have you got the right spec oil in it and when was it last changed?

Gavin

Thanks Gav,

I'm gonna do an oil change this weekend (incl filter) and I'll clean the pick up out at the same time. Was going to use 15w 40 but having read a few threads on here I;m not sure whether i need something thinner to get up there and fill the tappets up quicker though.

Glanced through the history and can't see a pattern of par