Sign in to follow this  
keithmac

Uk supplier for a 70mm G60 pulley?

2mm isn't much as a percentage. Do you plan to run it at the redline constantly? I don't think it'll any problem using a 68mm.

Gavin

Don`t plan to run in the red constantly but hopefully I`ll be doing a few trackdays next year, maybe my best option is to run the 78 for track and 68 for normal driving..

I actually bought a 70mm off German ebay last year but when it eventually turned up it looked like the bloke had removed it with a hammer..

I actually bought a 70mm off German ebay last year but when it eventually turned up it looked like the bloke had removed it with a hammer..

nice :o

swapping between 78 and 68 would mean swapping the serpentine too wouldnt it keith?

plenty people tend to run the 68's with no probs,could always drop the revs a bit on trackdays?

not what you wanna be doing really though i suppose? :lol:

Keith, have you done any track days? I used to do quite a few when I had my GTI G60, since that went though I have been stuck on the Queens highway, which I treat like a race track :mrgreen:

Even with a revy 16V I don't think you'll be pounding the limiter. If you get a dyno plot you'll see where the power is and how best to use it. For example I know that there is little point in going much past 5K on my syncro as the torque and power drop off sharply. Far better to short shift at 5 and let the torque do the work.

I'd just fit the 68 and drive it. I know you will have spent loads building it but that should mean you have a bit of mechanical sympathy for it too.

Gavin

Yeh, been to Donnington a few time last year, never with the charger on it though.. Car used to have peak torque at 6200rpm so I`d expect it to be around that, car sits at around 10 psi from 2.5k to redline with 78mm on it.

Suppose you`re righ, I wouldn`t want to blow it up after spend a year building, tuning it. Only as fast as your right foot..

I would imagine with the charger on it would have a fairly wide spread of power, so no need to wind it right up.

Wear trainers, instead of a divers boot. :mrgreen:

Gavin

Yeh best thing about the G is you can nail it from 2k or lower, rather than in the 3.5 k rpm range after the kents went in (or 4.5k when it was stock), I`ve finally got some torque!.

It made the car so much more drivable and normally I don`t event hit 4k or higher, I was looking to use the car to the limiter but thinking about it I probably will never need to anyway, 68mm it is.

Just need my bigger injectors as 350`s are maxxed out at 6500rpm, 100% DC which isn`t the best..

Serp belts are a bit of an issue, bought 4 and none of them fitted properly, using a cam belt tensioner at the moment to pre-load/ take up the slack before fitting the spring tensioner, maybe lucky with the 68mm will have to measure the run with a piece of string.

Bought some slicks as well but I haven`t had the chance to try them out, won`t be `till spring before I`m ready for any track action I would have tought?

How do the G60`s hold up on track? can`t wait to have a go..

Put my 65 back on it yesterday for normal driving (bloody hell!), not too much hastle to change the pulley so I`ll look into a 70 for the track just to give it half a chance.. Can put up with earlier servicing on the 65, I normally do less than 4k miles a year and if it goes bang it`s all my own fault. Having a lot of trouble with traction in second gear though :D

It's the sudden on/off drive from the engine that they don't like. Probably having no limiter is safer as you couldn't rev one too hard anyway.

Unless the megasquirt has a soft cut facility, which is much gentler in operation.

Gavin

It has got a soft cut limiter, does either or both ignition and fuel cut, haven`t had a good look into it to be honest. I`ve read fuel cut could be dangerous but I don`t know how the MS applies it, maybe shut down 2 cylinders completely as if you lean it off on boost BOOM!.