Sign in to follow this  
G60mm

G60 NOT STARTING - PLEASE HELP !!!

For some reason my 91 Corrado G60 refuses to start. It's definately getting fuel (plugs got soaked once, but cleaned then dried).

Parts changed so far for New:

Fuel Filter

Ignition Coil

Distributor

Distributor Cap

Rotor Arm

Ignition Timing set manually to tdc

Still nothing. Car has fresh fuel, running Bosch W6DPO Spark Plugs, Leads have been checked on another car - all ok.

Still no spark, I suspect it's the ecu (seeing as everything else has been eliminated). There seems to be no spark coming out of the coil.

Please help as this car is my daily driver !!

I had the same problem, i tried everything, it turned out it was the hall sender in the dizzy, they're quite prone to going.

The wet plugs is a bit strange as the ECU would need to be working to do that??? There would also need to be a signal out of the hall sender for the ECU to know the engine was turning and that it should fire the injectors.

Could be the coil?

Gavin

Oh yeah! :oops:

Although maybe the output to the coil in the ECU is bad. Could try his ECU in the donor vehicle first.

Don't fit a known good ECU to the bad car, without proving the ECU is dead. You may end up with 2 duff ECUs.

Gavin

i had this exact problem. it did turn out to be the feed from the ecu to the dizzy, i got an auto electrian in and he just put a new feed in. good as new now.

My mate had a similar problem in his rallye, apparently the battery was suffering and it was using up all it's power to turn the starter motor so it couldn't power up the ecu. It's a long shot, but worth a try.

Seen that on other cars where the ign switch is duff. When you release the key you get a spark and the engine catches, just. If you hold it all the way to crank it never starts.

The fuel could be getting through as the switch is released, the sparks don't get chance to ignite it....??

Gavin

yup, that's exactly what mine was doing when my switch went on J-DUB Gav...

Turn the key to ignition so that it's all ready to run, but don't turn it to start.

Make sure the car is out of gear

Connect a THICK wire to the spade terminal on the starter solenoid and touch the other end to the +ve on the battery to "trick" the car into starting (basically a partial hot wire)

If this works and the car starts, then you have a dodgy ignition switch... ;)

Good luck!

So its turning but not starting???

Have you got an immobiliser fitted?

Checked king lead, battery voltage, engine earths?

Immobiliser is fitted, but work ok ( i get green light)

Battery is also new

The green on the immobiliser wouldn't be proof that the relays inside are ok. But I think the ign switch deal is more likely from what you have posted....

Immobilisation would be on the starter motor crank wire and the fuel pump feed. As it turns over and you have wet plugs we cam eliminate them I reckon.

Gavin

Will try direct feed to starter tonight, I'll keep you guys posted.

Many thanks everyone for all your input so far

Cool, that's probably ruled out the switch then... 8)

It could still be a dead hall sender in the dizzy then... otherwise, I'd go with a dead imobiliser no matter what the little lights are showing... :|

reading back through this thread again, you've basically narrowed the fault down to 4 things. (excluding the posibility of a dodgy new component)

1) your immobiliser

2) the ECU

3) the ECU relay

4) dodgy wiring...

I'm assuming that you've checked that your coil has power.

Have you tried your ecu in another car to eliminate that from the equation? That'd be the first thing that I'd try... I'd then swap across an ECU relay to make sure that's working properly... after that it's a case of removing the imobiliser and then as a final resort start buzzing wires through to find the problem...

Good luck mate... 8)

I dont know if this will help but the car was

running ok then began to misfire and pop flames out of the back,

then nothing it has not fired since

Can only suggest the ECU as well, as after long searches into my G60 starting problem, I fitted the very original ECU (ending with letter 'B') and the very original chip again, and voila, 3 times now, each time with a full day inbetween, my G60 started without any stutter whatsoever!

The ECU can hence be a big factor in the equation of starting.

Tempest