Sign in to follow this  
Storm77

Occasional spluttering when damp......

Yesterday morning when I started my car after it being sat in the rain for 2 days it didn't fire up straight away and, when it did start, it sounded like it wasn't firing on all cylinders. This only happens when the car is sat for a couple of days in damp conditions. It lasts for five minutes then its fine.

I had new Magnecor leads fitted this summer, the plugs are over a year old but I don't think it's them (had a service 2 months ago). Anything else it can be? Anybody else have that problem?

Well, the more I rev it, the worse it gets......is that what you mean? The other morning it only lasted literally 2 seconds and stopped, but sometimes 5 minutes. Hope it's not the coil pack......that's big bucks isn't it?

have you given your distributer cap and rotor arm a quick clean?

(( being welsh I alsways think of the cheap fixes first.. :wink: ))

Does sound very coilpack related if the leads have already been replaced.

Distributor cap, LOL! It's a Storm Walesy, there for no Distributor :-)

Yes if it's missing under load when damp, then it's almost certainly the pack, assuming the leads are OK and not cut as Jim says.

You can spray water on it at night and watch for any arcing.

They cost about £200 from the dealers, so yeah they're expensive.

:fist: :p :oops: .....

well...in that case are you sure you've pulled out the choke in the mornings then Storm77, :scratch:

..or...perhaps it could be the points?...... :?

Yeah thanks for that excellent advice corradowales! lol Funnily enough, looking at the write-up on your car on ebay, it almost sounds asthough you know what you're talking bout :wink:

Kevhaywire, best get the spray gun out tonight then. So as it's to do with the damp, is it not a question of damp proofing it somehow?!....ie, a nice bit of Dampstart!

lol.. I didn't wanna be the one to point out the flaw in walesy's suggestion.. I've been corrected so many times on here that I begin to doubt things that i'm almost certain on these days!! ;)

LOL..i've never pretended to know fickin anything about VR6's , just trying to help!>..i wouldn't suggest anything to anyone that would mean them spending money!...i'm harmless enough :wink:

although it might be sensible for me to put my disclaimer back into my sig...

could someone point me in the general direction of my box.....if anyone needs me i'll be in there...

You can dismantle the coilpack and you'll see the arcing parts inside it. The americans swear by JB welding over the splits in the insulation, but it merely buys you a bit of time, rather than permanently fixing it.....but if they can't buy a part from Walmart for less than a buck to fix their cars, they don't want to know, cause they know better than VW :-)

Choice is yours.... you can replace the part and forget about it. Or you can patch it and wait for it to fail again in the middle of a torrential down pour whilst on your way to somewhere important....

PM bigpantsbaby as he's a breaker, he usually has that kind of stuff.

Alternatively the GSF Beru coilpack is about £110 as opposed to £200 for the dealer Bosch/TEMIC one.

I got a TEMIC one from stealers 2 weeks ago for £172 inc VAT (mention CCGB 10% discount) GSF wanted £140 for a BERU one. When I changed it I saw that last time it had been replaced it had been tightened too much and cracked the plastic cover nearly all the way round, so be careful with that spanner!