Sign in to follow this  
corradophil

VDO Centre console gauges

As above for a late interior right hand drive Corrado.

Idealy I would like the complete kit including oil pressure sender, and it's plumbing, but would also be interested in the gauge pod only.

I think these are possibly one of the hardest to find parts for a Corrado, shortly behind VSR's, although I did hear rumour of there being somewhere that had found a few new ones kicking about. No idea who or where though.

Good luck mate...

As above for a late interior right hand drive Corrado.

Idealy I would like the complete kit including oil pressure sender, and it's plumbing, but would also be interested in the gauge pod only.

I'd seriously consider the round gauges, not quite as nice looking but very easy to get second hand from audi sports for under 30 quid, including the senders, and it's pretty easy to make a two gauge panel for the cubby hole that looks good. The other units are going to set you back over 150 quid I reckon, that's if you can find one.

David.

Definately rare, I've been doing some research and they do appear to be available brand new, even though UK dealers say they aren't, but they are priced very high.

My last resort is either 52mm gauges from an Audi or none at all, but I've not given up on the originals yet.

I have a business contact in Germany, who I may ask to try and help me if I can't find them on here.

The LHD ones are fairly easy to find, but they're a slightly different shape and don't fit the RHD cars :(

These are still available from Irish VW dealers- Really.

I wanted one last year- phoned up an Irish Dealer- two weeks later a brand spanker is sitting on my kitchen table. Parts fella asked it I knew anyone else that wanted any- looks like there might be a few takers kicking about :wink:

Would that be Pierse Motors VW(Tipperary)?

I have spoken to them, and they beleive they can get them, but a around £180 just for the pod!!! Alot more than they were earlier this year.

If you know of any VW dealers who will do them at a lower price, please let me know.

Pierse Motors Tipperary..

Phone Dara Tierney- number is 00353 62 33218/ 33218. This fella has cottoned on to the fact they are mega-rare and will add a bit of commission on to the RRP- Mine cost 154 euros brand spanking new..

Lot of money actually but I really, really wanted them :|

Edit- the fella is just having a laugh then- Try another main dealer and just quote the part number- it will come up on their system and they can order it.

BTW there is no 'pod'- not like the early cars so its all one piece- That 160 quid might have been euros; and it would have been for the whole thing- :idea: Doh!

I bought a LHD set on E bay earlier this year for considerably less than that....they are not a perfect fit ( the consoles are handed of course) but it's not really that noticeable....I was told that RHD ones ( when you can find them) are nearly £200.

Going price at GPC use to be £120 for gauge module when they had a stock of them. Didn't come as a kit as far as I know. 4 way connector on the back. Sender separate.

Show enough interest and they may source a batch of RHD ones.

Nice gauges, interestly the don't have the same pointers as the dash gauges. The pointer light up at night and the scale panel is white with over black painted mask using a green bulb.

Ice White Socks,

The bloke I spoke to was called Steve, although he was in touch with Dara and mentioned him several times. He originally said €140, but checked with whoever had to supply him and got told they have gone up.

mgbv8mike,

Beleive it or not I've not even seen any LHD ones for sale.

RW1,

I'll give GPC a ring, and see what they say.

Phil, im after one too mate. I phoned GPC a month or 2 ago and they have asked for some more RHD ones. He reckoned VW wont produce any more RHD ones until there are enough numbers to justify it. Apparantly he can get plenty of LHD ones easy peasy!

Well that 3 more peeps after them!!

Hmmm, obviously the more people who are 100% definately interested, the more buying power we have. I'll give GPC a ring and ask for 3, see if that makes em more keen to push to get them.

Might also phone the bloke in Ireland and see what he has to say about it too, maybe he could offer a discount on a higher quantity.

I got in touch with VDO, but they are not allowed to sell manufacturer specific items due to tight controls by the car makers.

how bad would lhd one be in our raddos?

It would be interesting to see a photo, although I suspect it wouldn't look great.

I have just spoken to GPC, they say these are obsolete and cannot be obtained from anywhere new including Germany.

It would be interesting to see a photo, although I suspect it wouldn't look great.

Just reverse your photo at the start of this topic. Curved side is on the opposite hand etc. That's all it is. Will be a baaaad fit and look odd as the RHD for the UK cars ( and vice versa) is a snug fit.

Hmmm - thats bad luck, another Storm batch pricing scandal on Ebay then?

Just reverse your photo at the start of this topic. Curved side is on the opposite hand etc. That's all it is. Will be a baaaad fit and look odd as the RHD for the UK cars ( and vice versa) is a snug fit.

Yep, that was what I meant, to see just how bad the fit is.

I "may" be getting somewhere with a supplier too, but nothing definate yet. I'll keep you all posted.

When you get there, here's the gen.....

Corrado Combined Oil and Volt Instrument VDO Gauge

Original Fit Equipment

Parts List for RHD Corrado (UK):

Combined Oil & Voil Meter Gauge - 536 919 527 £131 at GPC in 2001 (No longer available)

VDO Oil Pressure Sender 0 – 10bar range with combined oil pressure switch £40 - £60 depending on source.

4 pin connector housing – 1J0 972 704 About £1.75

Repair wires for connector housing, 4 off – 000 979 133 £1 each.

(yellow with crimped connectors)

In-line fuse holder and 3-amp blade fuse (smallest easily available, 2-amp is lowest value made but hard to find). Maplin do a suitable blade fuse holder.

-------------------

Gauge has four connections:

a) Connection to oil pressure sender output.

b) Dash illumination +12 volts supply.

c) +12 volts from either battery direct via 3 amp fuse (permanently on)

or +12 volts ignition (switched).

d) Earth.

-------------------

Installation Notes:

The oil pressure sender is fitted in place of the cylinder head pressure switch as the logic of the switc part of the sender is “pressure to break”. The oil pressure switch wire is fitted to the sender switch connection. The other terminal, oil sender pressure signal is connected to the gauge in the passenger cabin.

The night time illumination is sourced from the cigarette lighter illumination. The wire Grey/Blue wire is the +12 volts illumination. Tap into this using a ScotchLoc.

The earth connection is again sourced from the cigarette lighter illumination. The Brown wire is the earth. Tap into this using a ScotchLoc.

The 12 volts supply can either be sourced as permanent +12 volts so that the battery condition can always be seen. Or it can switched when the ignition is turned on. For the battery +12 volts, run a wire to the battery +ve terminal. It is recommended that this feed be fused using an in-line fuse holder and 3-amp fuse. Going direct to the battery takes away the influence of electrical loads. If the +12 volts supply is connected to the fuse/relay panel, electrical loads influence and distort the voltage readings.

Alternative, the ignition +12 volts can be sourced from Glove Box supply wire, a Black/Yellow wire. This is the VW method but be aware that electrical loads may influence the voltage readings leading to incorrect indications.

The 4 repair wires 000 979 133 should be pushed into the connection plug shell 1J0 972 704. This will ensure a good connection at all times and no likelihood of an electrical short of the adjacent pins (if the connections were made “loose”). Connect up as per the labelling embossed on the back of the instrument to the Corrado’s wires above.

For ease of removal, it may be wise to introduce a 4 way plug break connection – see photo.

Also in the photographs is a 3KHz tone lights ON reminder buzzer (Maplin sourced). This is connected to the headlight switch loom wire Grey/Red at the headlight switch. As this is a full +12 volts at all times, it will ensure the buzzer sounds whereas if on the dash dimmer control, may not work at lower than full brightness.

----------------