Sign in to follow this  
martyjmcfly

Ever tempted to go Jap?

My brothers friend has just bought a Nissan Pulsar GTIR with 300 bhp for £4000.

Its M reg black and looks mint.

The exhaust system is basically 2 great big barrels sticking out beneath the rear bumper onthere sides.

I got him round and had a blat up the local by-pass me following (standard VR). He had two passengers on board and still left me. I didn't do bad but bloody hell he left me for dust.

What a mental car i must say i am really really tempted. He says when hes on his on it is faster. Has anyone had a go or know any of the negatives of owning such a mental mental car!!!

To get the VR to go that fast would take more than the price of the pulsar!!!

It's always tempting, but the extra running costs would stop me. I guess cost-wise the step from a VR6 is smaller than the step from a 16v. I don't think I could own a car I had to spend any money on anymore.

The transfer box is prone to going on these £££ rather risky with age etc.

if you think corrado ownership is expensive then you wont be able to afford one of those.

Having all 4 wheels spinning can be a laugh tho ;)

Yeah, an S2000 is the only current Jap car I wouldnt mind. :D Would be nice if they did a 6-cylinder version :wink:

I've also always liked (but never seriously considered buying) the GTO-Twin Turbo, & Nissan 300ZX :twisted:

I have been told you sometimes have to wait weeks for say a light cluster for a stock official import honda, imagine how long it could take to get hold of a part for a grey import.

I can see the attraction but personally would not buy one. :rambo:

and the other bally? lol jokin dude yer bro's car more than makes up for it!

lol dads 225k carina :lol:

billinjahg60, you should go jap a datsun sunny suits you well

nah I reckon a nissan bluebird would suit him!

gangster ride.. thats to pimp for Bill.. he's better of with a sunny estate with chopped springs, metal tissue box & spinning hubcaps!!

im always a bit tempted.... used to drive a celica (1996) 1.8 and it was very fun indeed, maybe even fater than the rado? if i ever found a good one i would have one again - well maybe later in life as a run around ;-)

The GTO is a real good car, i was always impressed when i went round a corner with the 4WD and 4WS.

The rear wheels steer so much you feel that you are going round a corner a little sideways but no tyre squeel at all and you are going far faster then anything around you!

The GTiR was the fastest accellerating car Nissan built, there are some with silly power but they have £30K spent on them, the gearbox's do go as does the transfer box and even old ones go for a fortune and that's when you can find them.

As for quality, i disagree with the build quality, you just have to jump out of another car into a Skyline and everything and especially underneath is over engineered!

4 bolts used where Ford or Vauxhall would use 1 or 2 bolts!

I've had or driven most 'Jap' cars and most to the max! like 180mph and with nitrous on them etc.....

But i love my Corrado VR6 with it's charger and nos on it!

Chris

Not a car, I know, but I bought a Honda 50 scooter in 1968.

Halfords sold them - they just sat on display in the store like mountain bikes do today. I think it cost £120

The tin of touch up paint said on the label "Be stirred. Be thinned"!

I've still got some of the tools that came with it.

Theyve come a long way since then.

Saw that item about the new Civic on 5th gear (?). Seems impressive apart from triangular exhaust pipes.

Any views on that car guys?

i've had quite a few jap cars and i've always found them to be ultra reliable ,easily tuned, and parts are not a problem even if its an import , its just a shame they can't inject a little more character into them

Was tempted 8 months ago by an R33 gtst and I have to say I haven't regretted getting rid of the rado to get the liner once. I disagree that the build quality isn't upto to par, everything on the skyline is well placed and works flawlessly and they are extremely reliable.

With over 300bhp it isn't a dull car to drive either as with a little acceleration and a quick flick you can have it going very sideways into a corner which is great fun.

Rear wsheel drive cars rule!!! :D

I've always wanted to try an FTO. I know they have their detractors but I love the exhaust note from that 2.0 V6!

Either that or an Accord Type R - they're cheap now and they look so cool!

But i'll be sticking with German cars for the forseeable future.. I like em too much!

got 2 japs cars at home if I fancy something different..

this ones special!!

I got one of those too!!!

Nice cars !!

I've also always liked (but never seriously considered buying) the GTO-Twin Turbo, & Nissan 300ZX :twisted:
I ran a 300ZX twin turbo for a few months (company car 8) ). Car was 12 months old at the time - fast as fcuk but a bit of a handfull in the corners.

When I bought my Corrado, it was a straight choice between another one of those or a G60. ZX for speed, G60 for handling - close call & took some consideration before I chose the G60. I suppose the final deciding factor was that the ZX was only good for around 18mpg !!