Sign in to follow this  
Riley

rear view mirror removal/sunstrip query...

alright guys :) ive done a search but not come up with anything.

my friggin sunstrips keep coming off the screen (fitted to outside of screen)

so i was wondering how to remove/maybe reposition? the rear view mirror so i can fit a sunstrip on the inside of the screen.

cheers,neil. :)

bump :) dont wanna break the screen removing the mirror! is it glued on there big time? :shock:

Neil.

Yep I think it's bonded on pretty damn strong!

I heard someone else say that a passenger head-butted the mirror, which broke it off and took a chuck of glass with it!!

who fitted the sun strip??? if it was you , did you take the backing paper off????, it is nhy on impossible to fit them things on the inside properly without taking the screen out.

sounds promising :lol:

vwcorrado,yep i fitted it(fitted a few now) and i removed the backing! :shock:

i can get em on perfect! no bubbles at all,no dodgy cuts,perfect fit.

but they just come off after a few weeks when i put my foot down :mad:

a plus side of fitting it on the inside would be the gloss finish look from the outside,instead of getting scratchy with the wiper etc...

i really want to stick with one,because a/i think it looks wicked (not in a chavvy way) and b/because im a short ar$e and the visors arent enough :lol:

mmmm,hair dryer on the job ya reckon? :?:

Neil.

The mirror twists off, you will then find the metal lug is left on the screen. Cut a hole in your new sunstrip for the metal lug and stick on using lots of water and fairy liquid. Squeegy the water out, dont worry about a few small bubbles as the water will dry out and the bubbles will disappear with time.

i agree the do look the business. i got one on both my c......s, but i must admit it was the missus that put them on , and there a b@stid to come off for the mot, so i dont know why yours keeps coming off, nice car by the by,

cheers andy/vwcorrado.

i discovered that the mirror twists off earlier after breaking a windscreen trying to remove it (windscreen not mirror) feck me they're stuck in eh? :shock:

anyway i just rived the mirror off and saw the twisty bit 8)

really dont know if i want to risk it with mine though :o

Neil.

Riley, pulled the metal twisty bit off mine today by mistake :oops: was a new windscreen though so that`ll probably affect it, anyway was left with the black shape on the screen and a small square piece of adhesive on the twisty bit....

i wanna know how to put mine back on :lol:

:lol: i reckon the stuff they stick the windscreens in with will hold the eiffel tower in there if you wanted :lol: crazy sh1t that stuff...

wondered about the black patch bit too,seems its like part of the screen? :? tried scratching at it,but wasnt shifting.i think a sunstrip will go over it smoothly anyway,unless i use an idea along the lines of what andy says. :)

Neil.

Bear in mind that if your sunstrip covers any area that is touched by the windscreen wipers it's illegal matey.

When I got pulled for my tints, my sun strip was 2 inches inside the wipe zone and I had to remove it. Still trying to get the bloody glue off all the windows!

wow,i didnt know that :? :mad:

havent been pulled for it yet and it went through the mot ok...

cheers for the heads up,ill sharpen my tongue ready for the stinkin cops :p

Neil.

MOT doesn't mean schitt mate. Mine has been through 3 MOT's and passed 'em all and I still got shafted.

yeah,i know the mot dosnt mean jack to the cops,i mean as far as passing without me having to tear it off my self :o :lol:

Neil.