Sign in to follow this  
outlandish5

G60 - Where's my whistle gone?

Just replaced the downpipe on my G60 and I went the route of removing the throttle body & manifolds.

After putting everything back together the whistle has dissapeared, It's whisted for years on deceleration from high revs and I want it back!

What actualy causes the whistle? Is there something I've forgotten to attach or maybe something that wasn't attached beforehand?

maybe you had a slightly leaky throttle body pipe? or leaky gaskets on the inlet manifold/throttle body?

Neil. :)

Your whistle is the air passing along the return pipe. Have you got a boost leak, you would know because the car won't be as powerful

I replaced all the gaskets and the boost return pipe was cracked and taped up from a previous owner, so I replaced it too.

So am I correct in gathering that the whistle is caused by air passing though the boost return pipe, and now that I've replaced the cracked pipe it will no longer whistle as there is no leak?

The car feels fine but what other ways is there to finding out if I have a boost leak?

the whistle would most probably have been the cracked boost return, before i removed my boost return it didnt whistle on deceleration.

if you want the whistle back just remove the boost return, blank off the charger inlet, fit a filter to your isv and maybe fit a catch tank to you oil breather or just vent it under the car.

Jabbasport advise against removing the boost return.

Snippet from their website;

"Jabbasport always recommend that the standard boost return system is left in place. Remove this and block off the return system to the Supercharger will starve it from the oil vapour it needs from the engine breather, this is needed to lubricate the sprung assisted Apex seals within the casings. "

I want the whistle back but dont want to alter too much from the factory standard.

G werks sell a spray can of charger lube. To be used when the return pipe is deleted. Its listed under charger accesories, PTFE based.

Jabbasport advise against removing the boost return.

Snippet from their website;

"Jabbasport always recommend that the standard boost return system is left in place. Remove this and block off the return system to the Supercharger will starve it from the oil vapour it needs from the engine breather, this is needed to lubricate the sprung assisted Apex seals within the casings. "

I want the whistle back but dont want to alter too much from the factory standard.

there is also the theory that the hot oily vapour that gets fed back to the charger washes away the ptfe grease coating that is applied to the internals of the charger, hot air is a bad idea anyway as it reduces the efficiency of the charger.

I found before i removed the return pipe that after a good thrashing the charger would be hot to the touch and after i removed the return it ran quite cool, it didnt really give an increase in power but it did seem to reduce the loss of power which occured when the charger got a bit toasty.

there is allways a nice layer of the ptfe lube on the inside of my charger now but before i had it re-built at g-werks and removed the return i took it apart myself and all there was inside was a very thin patchy layer of mucky black oil which looked like it had actually built up around the apex strips rather than lubricated them.

personally i wouldnt believe a word jabbasport say after seeing one of their chargers that was supposedly a stage 4, and even had s4 engraved into the casing, but had absolutely no porting work whatsoever and had to be re-built again after 2k as one of the seals had been fitted on an angle causing it to fail and leak like a sieve.