Sign in to follow this  
Ronan

Strange steering problem

I have a really weird steering problem in my car which has come to the fore recently - when I put my foot down, the car will pull right, if I have my hands on the wheel. If i let go of the wheel and put my foot down (doesnt have to be anywhere in the rev range, jsut putting power down) then the steering wheel rotates slightly to the left, but the car goes straight on.

It feels like something somewhere is twisting, or a bush is slack or something, but all the bushes are powerflex, and the car went through its mot a couple of months back so there cant be something that badly worn?

Any ideas people?

Bizarely I think this happened to me the other day. Hasn't happened since so I thought I imagined it but it was exactly as you describe...

Sounds very similar to when my front wishbone bushes failed. Under hard acceleration it pulled to the right. It was the N/S bushes that failed.

Front wishbones bushes, knackered steering rack, knackered anything on the suspension could cause this. Bad tracking, bad camber and bad roads can also cause it. Also check everything is tight (to the correct Torque) as the settings are very high for the Rado suspension parts.

Jay

Sounds like wheel bearings to me (front ones).

Mine used to pull left or right under acceleration on the motorway too, just a momentary tug and then it would self track again when backing off.

I say wheel bearings cause a few weeks ago, stealth replaced a chuffing great list of front end parts and the only things that showed visible wear where the bearings.

Incidentally, they were GSF front bearings and they lasted 2 years, avoid ANY GSF chassis components. It's a false economy, stick with VAG throughout the entire floor is my advice.

Incidentally, they were GSF front bearings and they lasted 2 years, avoid ANY GSF chassis components. It's a false economy, stick with VAG throughout the entire floor is my advice.

I thought Bilstein/FEBI were OEM suppliers, loads of my GSF chassis bits have been FEBI. I've also never had problems with GSF bearings either in 18 years of driving old VW's. In fact I've had more problems with faulty VAG parts, not to mention the defective stuff on cars from the factory, coilpacks, sensors, timing tensionners...

David.

I thought Bilstein/FEBI were OEM suppliers, loads of my GSF chassis bits have been FEBI. I've also never had problems with GSF bearings either in 18 years of driving old VW's. In fact I've had more problems with faulty VAG parts, not to mention the defective stuff on cars from the factory, coilpacks, sensors, timing tensionners...

David.

The bearings in question that wore out prematurely on mine are VTECH. I know the VTECH rears last 2 months (I'm not joking) but the fronts were apparently OK-ish....but clearly not if they last 2 years.

TRW are the OE supplier to VW for track rods, Ball joints and CVs etc. SKF are the OE bearing supplier. Febi/Bilstein don't come close in quality.

You have a valver, I have a VR. Different loadings and weights so your experiences of said parts can't be compared to mine and we probably have different driving styles too, not to mention mine does over 20,000 a year.

David.

The bearings in question that wore out prematurely on mine are VTECH. I know the VTECH rears last 2 months (I'm not joking) but the fronts were apparently OK-ish....but clearly not if they last 2 years.

TRW are the OE supplier to VW for track rods, Ball joints and CVs etc. SKF are the OE bearing supplier. Febi/Bilstein don't come close in quality.

You have a valver, I have a VR. Different loadings and weights so your experiences of said parts can't be compared to mine and we probably have different driving styles too, not to mention mine does over 20,000 a year.

fair enough, but I'm sure I've had SKF bearings from GSF?

I think GSF will give you an SKF bearing if you ask for it, but if you just get their default ones, they're VTECH and you can't appreciate how useless they are until you've tried them!!

I suppose the £6 a side price for the rears should have given it away....

my car does exactly this i have changed the wishbone bushes, strut top mounts, all shocks, ball joints, rear beam bushes and tyres so next is the tie rod ends, but reading the steering rack thread i might need to torque my wishbones up properly so this ill do and report back. my car has done this for the whole time i have had it!

Some road surface following is normal for a car, particularly a front wheel driver under extreme conditions (heavy braking or acceleration).

As for how much .. well..

Personally I'm considering getting whole new VW wishbones fitted, which afaik come complete with BJs and all bushes (apart from ARB drop link). Oh and tightening up the bolts.. :)

Yeah GSF do SKF bearings but they weren't instock when I needed some so I went to my local bearing place (which were slightly cheaper than VAG/GSF)

Yeah, agree with the Febi stuff - the TDi Corrado had a whole load of it fitted a couple of years ago when the conversion was done and it's all knackered after 30k's... trackrods seized, all rubber parts worn out - top mounts etc (luckily it was poly bushed)