Sign in to follow this  
Supercharged Junkie

Outside temp sensor

Hi

Just had a Rieger GTX bumper fitted and noticed they didn`t reconnect the outside temp sensor so jacked the car up to plug it in and.....

WHERE IS IT ?

Where abouts is the sensor fitted? and whats it look like :oops:

Thanks

Ian

Well just looked at the old bumper i got back from them and i still can`t find it, where abouts is it located ?

Anyone got a part number for one or has one laying around they don`t want?

Thanks

Ian

if you open the bonnet its located on the inner passenger wing. it looks like a small firework banger with a wire coming out of each end of it

Mate, think your getting confused with the light dimmer resistor :oops:

The plug on the driver side so must be around that area but i can`t find it. Don`t remember ever seeing it about so must be hidden somewhen!

Help

Ian

its located in the inner wheel arch duct (the ones that feed air to the brakes from the front bumper) on the drivers side, i think i might have a spare one knocking about i will check when i get home later.

yeah it's connected to the brake air ducting. Move it up to the air box for intake temperature instead of the uninteresting ambient temperature :p

yeah it's connected to the brake air ducting. Move it up to the air box for intake temperature instead of the uninteresting ambient temperature :p

i had mine cable tied to the air filter hose. no real point. just couldn't be arsed to refit the inner arch..

Move it up to the air box for intake temperature instead of the uninteresting ambient temperature

I like that idea :)

Yeah good idea, shame still can`t find the damn thing :-(

it is attached to the drivers side brake cooling duct. little blue thing. 2 wires. unclips.. but there no point in moving it really.

Well my car doesn`t have any brake cooling ducts, but i will have another look. All i got is a wire hanging down with a blue connector on which looks like it should plug into the sensor.

It`s defo the temp sensor because its doesn`t show up at all when you scroll thru the MFA options :-(

Well my car doesn`t have any brake cooling ducts, but i will have another look. All i got is a wire hanging down with a blue connector on which looks like it should plug into the sensor.

It`s defo the temp sensor because its doesn`t show up at all when you scroll thru the MFA options :-(

have brake ducts have been removed.?

you could always go to the brakers and pick up a 'new' one. and tie it up somewhere.

Move it up to the air box for intake temperature instead of the uninteresting ambient temperature

I like that idea :)

I quite like knowing when it's approaching freezing point though to look out for ice etc.

Maybe I'll move it for summer, then as it gets colder I'll move it back again.

I quite like knowing when it's approaching freezing point though to look out for ice etc.

Its Unusual for mine to see ice - very rarely comes out in the winter :)

Its Unusual for mine to see ice - very rarely comes out in the winter :)

I live in cornwall so unless i try to get over bobmin in the winter we dont even see frost :lol:

if you don't have the brake cooling ducts, then it lives in a metal plate on the drivers side in the lower grill in the bumper... Looks wise from the outside of the bumpre, it's a round thing with 3 clips holding it into the metal panel and a pin in the center... 8)

Right, think i found the plate you are talking about henny on the original bumper but guess what NO sensor!

Looks like i`ll have to get another one, PLEASE has anyone got one they want to sell to me :-) Hardly ever look at the damn temp, but for some reason it`s really annoying me not having it ;-)

Looked thru EKTA and found part no. 357 919 379 A Outer Temperature sensor is this the right sensor ?

Thanks

Ian

am i right in thinking VW did away with the brake air ducts in the '92 facelift?

Not on my c either, assume they werent really needed

davedub, yup, they went when the later bumpers were fitted... No idea why though, 'cos the grill and all fittings for 'em are still there... :roll:

The sensor isn't very expensive from VAG IIRC, I got a new one for J-DUB a couple of years ago after breaking the original one in an accident with a hammer... :lol: