Sign in to follow this  
Ginger60

G60 running gremlins

Hi guys,

Im a bit fed up to say the least my c is bit poorly and am just about ready to chuck in the towel :(

Its running weird at startup it revs 2000rpm and when reverse out the drive goes higher...

The accelleration is bit sluggish till it picks up then it goes like a stink, I remember it being eager before.

The average MPG is around 18mpg, it used to be 27-8mpg.

On top of that I cant seem to sort out the driveshaft pulley its started to wobble again despite all the work Ive had done on it.

Any suggestions would be greatful.

Cheers

you will have to replace the pully,and definately replace the crappy standard crank pully bolt with one from a mk1 golf gti.

you need the washer to go with it too.

vw part numbers:

bolt - n040 1064

washer - 068 105 193a

you need some loctite also,the standard stretch bolts are common for coming loose/breaking :shock:

as for the dodgy tickover,have you tried cleaning the isv through with carb cleaner/petrol or similar? its the round cylinder shaped thing just in front of the inlet manifold.

neil. :)

Riley, Thanks man!

Ill get these as soon as I can, wont use the rad til this is done. Its sprung apart before :cry:

Do you have the part numbers for the pulleys by any chance?

Cheers

what year is your g60? not sure if there are any differences thats all...dont think there are.

will just have a check m8... :thumbleft:

neil.

aye,i know what its like m8,cant do with things not being 110% all of the time!

you will have to forgive me as its a little while since i played with pullies etc...so i cant just remember whats what but here goes.

ribbed belt pully:037 105 255a for chassis no. upto L.

for chassis number after L : the same number minus the (a) on the end.

vibration damper:037 105 243.

toothed pully:049 105 263c

v-belt pully:037 105 253

best to double check with your dealer/someone on here as to whats needed,maybe give darren(g-man on here) a shout.

neil. :)

Outstanding thanks mate!

Mines a J plate so im assuming the ribbed pulley is with the 'a' on the end?

The vibration damper and the PAS pulley are two bits? strange cos they came off as one on mine!

Any ideas how much im gonna have to shell out to the vw stealership for these mate? :roll:

By the way I got my bro to crank the car whislt I was under it, im worried the toothed pulley may have a small wobble on it, its the second ive had, and this time its been repair welded too, as for the bolt its still tight as a nuns... i need a pint. :drinking:

18 mpg :shock:

Would a dicky lambda probe cause this?

I just changed the waterpump on mine. I thought the bearings had gone in it. The pulley was wobbling. I bought a new pump then stripped the pulley off the old 1. I bought new pulley bolts x3 new spring washers x3 and also I found that the pulley has 3 small washer shims behind it. Only 1 was present. Hence it was wobbling!!!

So The old pump was fine!! Refitted all the new stuff plus new shims and its fine no more wobble

Still all done now. Does the crank pulley have any shims? Maybe worth a look?

Hello 2_Door_fun, mate I know what you mean you has these angled shims which when loosened allow for adjustment of ribbed pulley on water pump, the crank pulley isnt like that its a stack of pulleys, a bad design I may add :(

Will check lambo when got other bits sorted!

Your problem is not with the pulleys you mention. I would imagine the problem is with the crank pulley itself moving. This would explain all the symptons you are seeing. go and whip the crank pulley off now (19mm Multipoint socket) and check the condition of the keyway.

g-man, Hi g-man ok ill do this now, will let you know bout condition, I am sure the keyway was ok though because I had my mate weld it back to fit!

PM you in a bit mate thanks

Cant get it undone, goes to show how tight it is, you think my mate needs to have a go at the crank again?

Cant get it undone, goes to show how tight it is, you think my mate needs to have a go at the crank again?

U need to undo it if someone has fiddled with the pulley **welding** there is a good chance its not sitting totally flat hence the wobbling

MM very good point, the thing is ive only got walldrive socket set and cant get a good grip on the bolt, but if I get it off properly using a mates kit ill run a file on carefully til it looks good?

MM very good point, the thing is ive only got walldrive socket set and cant get a good grip on the bolt, but if I get it off properly using a mates kit ill run a file on carefully til it looks good?

A new pulley is in the region of £25. Is it really worth taking the Risk ?

Its a very recent pulley mate, only fitted 2months ago. Think the wobble is due to that weld as you say?

Its a very recent pulley mate, only fitted 2months ago. Think the wobble is due to that weld as you say?

if its new why weld it ?

Because the original pulley and bolt came loose, the keyway was mullered mate.

Was told today to get a GTI bolt and a washer? Apparently its a known weak spot?

The hard part is finding someone who knows what they are doing to have a look. :scratch: