Sign in to follow this  
tallpaul1977

Whats the best gearbox to use?

Hi, im putting in a 1.8T lump into my 2.0 16v. Im aiming to run 300 odd bhp. How much power can the 16v gearbox take? What other boxes can take 300bhp?

Cheers for the help

Paul

'taint the BHP that's the problem, it's the torque...

Standard corrado box is good for around 250Lb/Ft on a regular basis... any more and with regular full throttle starts, you're gonna be eating cogs on a regular basis...

If you're running a 1.8T, I'd go with a 1.8T box to match it...

Just been looking into this.

You'll need to change the 108mm driveshaft flanges for 100mm ones from a non turbo box afaik

The VR6 box with a 3.68 final drive is probably you're best bet. Mine copes with 290hp and 260lb/ft just fine, as does the clutch. You'll need to put the VR6 box onto your 16V bell housing though.

The VR6 box with a 3.68 final drive is probably you're best bet. Mine copes with 290hp and 260lb/ft just fine, as does the clutch. You'll need to put the VR6 box onto your 16V bell housing though.

which is basically a CDA code mk3 16v box!

no, vr6 has a beefed up input shaft with tougher 1st and 2nd gears. in fact, all the vr6 gears are much stonrger then the "lesser" boxes.

with an engine with bags of midrange like the 1.8t, you can't really go wrong with the mk3 golf TDI box. same 3.3 final as the vr6.

problem with mk4 boxes if the aforementioned 108mm flanges, and tha fact that they have low final dirves, due to the big wheels mk4's run. they arne't suitable for corraod's and mk2'as running smaller wheels. fit one of those and wind up the boost and you'll find it'll do nothing but spin the wheels in the first 3 gears.

Running 300 of each power quote in a G60 box for 12 months hard use no probs what so ever to the box but 1st 2nd ratios are not good too short.

Hi, im putting in a 1.8T lump into my 2.0 16v. Im aiming to run 300 odd bhp. How much power can the 16v gearbox take? What other boxes can take 300bhp?

Cheers for the help

Paul

i know plenty of people with 300bhp 20vt's using a mk3 16v gearbox, no problems with the box, the engines give up before the boxes! lol