Sign in to follow this  
capnahab

Hnadbrake tunnel plastic cover

Every Corrado in the world, as far as im aware, has a loose handbrake cover tunnel thing. I mean it sounds really bad when you pull the handbrake up and half of your interior moves with it. Anyone know any decent fixes for this? been thinking about using a small amount of expaning foam to seat everything nicley. Ideas?

Was talking to Jim and Steve about this at the CCGB day. It's such a crap design...

I'll be having a good go at mine in the next few weeks- I'll let you know how I get on! My garage actually offered to do it for me when I had the car serviced. Think I'll have a go myself though.

Yeah it really is pants isnt it? Its shameful when you pull the handbrake up and it all creaks and moves.. like a french car.

I was thinking about trying a couple of self tapping screws through it into the tunnel as low as possible at the front.

Previous owner of my last car (the green G60) did this - right at the front on either side just as the centre tunnel trim joins onto the bit which wraps around the gear surround. Seemed to do the job ok but the screws were noticable.

I might try and see if i can get some black ones and the use the little screw cover type things that you get with flat pack furniture to hide them.

Cheers stan, Unfortunally in that horrible grey colour ive just got rid off. Unfortunally that sat perfect. But im after a all black interior so am going to try out other methods.

Worst thing is the reason it dosnt fit so well was probably my fault trying to get it out of a car in the scrap yard before they closed and some other bugger got it for the paltry sum of a £5

ive screwed mine together after spending ages straightening all the plastic clips etc out and as previously stated covered the heads looks good and stays in place....

A few people have said that as i am missing the front footwell plastics, parcel shelf supports and am still to find a good black dash.

Is it really easy and does it look any good?

am really worried that it will just look like i have sprayed it. :oops:

Depends what you use I guess. Im sure you can use some plastic primer, black paint, and then some clear lacruer if you want it shiny???

I use new buttons (why are they only available in beige?) and bond the inner section to the buttons using a special plastic glue from Würth and then leave it overnight. It seems to stop the problem.

SPRAY IT!!!!

...now that sounds like a good idea, but that's obviously what a previous owner of my C did to the rear ashtray and it's all flaked! it's now a kind of 'urban camoflage' grey/black combo :?

SPRAY IT!!!!

...now that sounds like a good idea, but that's obviously what a previous owner of my C did to the rear ashtray and it's all flaked! it's now a kind of 'urban camoflage' grey/black combo :?

Thats cos you need to use plastic primer before hand to allow the paint to flex ;)

the way I've seen plastic coloured in the past isn't painting, its dyeing.

You can buy plastic dye, and colour it that way, then you keep the texture/finish of the plastic, alot of people used to do it when modding PC monitors a few years ago.

I'd recommend using that rather than primer and paint, as everything is gonna end up smooth and shiney (same finish as external paint work), and you'll get confused as to whether your inside or outside the car ;)

yeah, and thats less work :lol:

if you wanna keep it all OEM looking then dye would be the easiest way to go.

Stan, you can spray paint your seats too, then they will be all shiney and crispy :p

I Screwed my handbrake tunnel in at the front, one on each side really low down so you can't see them at all.

1 thing though, you have to take the front seats out to get the tunnel off! :)

I thought you could buy special vinyl paint to paint dashes/interior plastics etc?

Yeah but then you'd slide off :p

no I wouldn't, I've never sat in your car :p :lol: