Sign in to follow this  
maxveins

Squeaking from the engine bay... 1.8 valver

As title...

So I guess the immediate respones is tighten your alternator belt etc...

Well, tried that, then tried taking all possibly squeaking belts off the engine and guess what, it still squeaks also leads me to believe its not the alternator...

It has a new cam belt and pulley, its not too tight or anything, but I'm still getting the drains in power including the disco style temperature warning light if i have all lights on and indicate or something!

Someone please give me some ideas, got a whole day to work on it tomorrow with my mechanic guy, the only thing we've found down there so far was a bolt that had snapped of the tensioner, but surely that wouldn't be causing all that racket?!

Also, this only happens once the engine is up to temperature not when it is cold, and it seems to affect the engine temperature/general electric power, like when I'm at standstill it heats right up and then I start getting the disco style warning light from the temp guage. Yet when I'm driving the temperature drops by like 20 degrees... almost like its being drained of power or something... the alternator seems to be giving out a correct voltage as well

Cheers for any advice and I hope I gave enough info!

Max

the squeaking could also be your power steering belt, although if youve lost a tensioner bolt then your belt wont be correctly tensioned causing it to squeak.

does it overheat completely? :?

No I've not seen it go barely over 110 pls it only gets that warm at standstill, under load normally it is at about 90 - 100 which is what i take to be normal right? The oil has never gone over about 92 either, I think the water tamp guage is actually reading hotter than it actually is though...

Tried taking off the power steering belt and it still squeaked.

Forgot to mention the temp guage isn't working now, just through fiddling the lead was taken off and snapped instantly, so the wire was stripped back and the connector put back on, but now it just doesn't work, so thinking to rewire the sensors, might make a difference to the temp readings...

Max