Sign in to follow this  
falconer01

Electrical fault

My 1991 1.8 Corrado wont start , the problem seems to be the connection plug going into the ignition. If i mess around with the wires she will run. Do i need to replace the complete ignition switch. I also understand they have a ignition module could this be making matters worse.

Any photos or wiring diagrams would help .Thanks :lol:

Switch is a good place to start if it's around that area - could also be a loose wire from a dodgy alarm install etc...

You should do the switch anyway really as they all fail eventually - make sure you get a genuine black one - 6N Polo part.

Thanks for reply , Do i need to order the whole setup , Ie does the electrical connection come out from the key barrel. Also is this a part i have to get from VW dealer.

Nah, it's just the switch itself, you unplug the electrical connection and the switch sits just behind the barrel, there is a guide to changing it in the knowledge base...

It's a git - not difficult but very fiddly...

You can test the new switch works tho by just plugging it in and turning with a screwdriver leaving it hanging down, just make sure car is out of gear etc and if you go for a drive make sure you stick the keys in to turn off the steering lock!!!

My 1991 1.8 Corrado wont start , the problem seems to be the connection plug going into the ignition. If i mess around with the wires she will run..Thanks :lol:

Hi

I take it you mean the engine does not crank.

In my case, If I remove the black plug and spray switch cleaner into the plug and onto the connectors on the ignition switch, and push the plug back on, the engine cranks.

The black plug has two notches, make sure they get locked in properly.

I am putting away changing the ignition switch because there is a tiny screw that is difficult to get to.