Sign in to follow this  
Dubsingh

black smoke and missfire plz help

hi all had the car running sweet for a few days now until today that is, after rebuilding the engine iv done 1500 already and run in properly. today i decided to jet down the engine bay to get rid of the muck WOT A BAD MOVE, she started up fine after i dried the car and let the engine bay dry out in the baking heat, i removed the dizzy as a precation to clean out any condensation but it was ok the leads were dry as i took care not to drench the whole engine.

any way got home and parked it up, was helping my mate fix his alda 156 snapped timing belt doh!!!!

we decided to go get sumin to eat got in the g satrted fine but half way there it started missing like crazy then going smooth, followed by blackish smoke you could smell the damn fuel. got home and the miss got gradually worse, parked up checked everything again cleand the leads with air to get rid of any moiosture but they were ok i swapped them for another set i have, started the car and after a smooth start she was missing and puffing black smoke whats wrong???

chaged the blue temp sensor and no diffrence, but it seems to run idle better with it unplugged, a few blips of the throttle seems to produce smoke luked bluey white i thing at high revs, to it for a drive nice and smooth but clow as anything

reconnect the blue temp still no diff it idles smooth for a bit then starts puffing black smoke, whats wrong with my G??????

im starting to regret g60 owneship i dnt think i can handle any more a full rebuild and still being a bitch

what have i not checked? a point to make with the blue temp connected she misfire while driving but goes smooth till you back of the revs or try to hold a steady speed but seems to clear when giving it sum to top it off i ithinkl the rear crank seal has popped oil every where just greak a gearbox of job AGAIN

things i feel i need to check, av i missed anything?

1, Unplug Lambda ad run car

2, check BTS, what sort off reading should i get with a multimeter

3, Earthing

4, FPR, how would i check this?

5, Co2 Pot, how is this adjusted? ans what reading should the multimeter show?

thanks in advance.

why is the car running like normal when the BTS is unplugged shouldnt the car idle ilike its about to switch of when i do this, mines seems to run normal with it being unplugged

ok been messing around today sorted the oil leak turned out to be the oil pressure sensor. nicked one out of a passat my neighbour is gonna dump, so willhave to do for the mean time.

i have been mesn around with the lambda being pluged our and BTS and with a combination of pissin about managed to et it running i think. when i rev it a couple of times it seems ok, but wen i rev it hard it seems as if it smokes a lil.

have a few querys about adjustment of the co2 pot how do i do it and what reading shoud i be gettin out of it?

could washing out the engine bay got moistur in places i can even think of? as the problemonly started after doing the wash. i have retimed it but upon plugin out the BTS the car idles normal should it not be looking to cut out?

but when i had the timing strobe on the mark (fly wheel side) on normal idle the mark seemed bang on the marker and soon as i pluged the BTS back on it was a sort of bouncing idle as far as the TDC marker was concerned

are ther any dangers in terms of damage if i decide to use the car as it is, have emailed gwerks to see if i can get her booked in for a full check up mechanically im ok i knw what im doing but electrics and i start falling apart need to concur that demon soon.

sorry for such long post but im trying to get as uch nfo on here so that i can get a decnent diagnostic

many thanks in advance

Black smoke is associated with running rich I believe.

Are your spark plugs sooty too?

when you take the blue temp sender out the car should run a few rpm lower,this should be audible when you take said plug out.

CO content in mixture is adjusted by the potentiometer in the intake pipe b4 the throttlebody.However this should be done with a gas analyzer in the exhuast system b4 the cat.(As per Bentley manual.DanVW did a post about it)

I would check the resistance of the CO pot b4 doing the above,it needs to be about 750 ohms(this is from memory please check).It has a range of 0 to 2kohms.

If it is wildly out then replace.

Its frustrating when they don't work properly,I know.We don't have the luxury of vag-com diagnostic capabilities like the VR's :(

Keep at it though.

cheers.

checked my voltage today just to see what kind of reading i was getting showed 14.8 thereabouts when warmed up so i knw the ecu aint going into limp mode. after mesin around wiv various plugs including lambda and BTS she seems to be running ok i think. took the plugs out they were covered in black soot so that explained the poor starting cleaned them out blew them wiv an air gun and stuck em back in.

started her up again she did on firts tun happydays, as i was walking aroung the car cleanin g bits and bobs while she was idling she sounded like she was gonna cough again did a little and i decided to just give a few blips of gas she cleared up

thing is i have to use the car on a 200 odd mile round trip shall i just take it out and run her nice and esy on the motorway, of shal i have her checked up not sure what to do.

oil leak had me sussed is it usual for an oil pressure swith to fail such that it lets oil stream out, have used a passat one for now will replace it wiv a g60 one or will it be ok if i leave the one i have on?

thanks all