Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

Engine paint??

Right guys 'n' gals, I need to order some paint for my block and wanted to know what I should be getting. I've heard good things about POR-15, but I've also heard that there is some engine paint that is available in a rattle can. Can anyone recommend suggest/recommend any? I'm only interested in matt black, so not sure if the POR-15 stuff is matt or it is gloss.

Thanks in advance....

I think the POR stuff is a matt wrinkle finish, like the stuff you see on classic cars at shows i have heard good reports about it and its meant to be very long lasting, I have tried a couple of different spray can high temp paints and they have been useless either flaking off or not setting properly.

I've used Halfarts high temp engine paint for the last few years, has done the job perfectly for me!

I've used Halfarts high temp engine paint for the last few years, has done the job perfectly for me!

I used some halfords engine laquer, OK, but like POR 15 it's the preparation that counts or anything will flake off.

I used some halfords engine laquer, OK, but like POR 15 it's the preparation that counts or anything will flake off.

Ah, ok. I've seen a kit that includes a POR-15 etch primer and paint, so is using a kit with the etch primer the best plan then?

The POR 15 is excellent and gives a beautifully deep smooth gloss. I give the block two coats with a few days drying time in between each. It is important not to run the engine for at least a week after application or it melts and runs like crazy. I use a hot air gun to speed up the drying after it has flashed off overnight. I have tried many engine paints over the years and this is the best but it is harder work.

Well, I've just bought the POR15 engine paint kit, which includes;

Engine cleaner,

Metal-Ready (etch primer),

POR-15 rust preventative paint,

Extra pigment black engine enamel,

Solvent,

Paint brushes,

Latex gloves and face mask

POR15 kit

Came to £50 including VAT and delivery, which I thought was pretty good considering it has everything I need :D