Sign in to follow this  
sparks

G60 spark plugs

Hi people just got me a G60 so im very new to the whole Corrado thing so bare with me although have owed scirrocos before

right

question 1

i have heard G40 plug are the thing to go for is this correct or will a nice set of denso irdrumin would be better ???

2, just had a power run done on the car and got 151bhp at the wheels and 210 lb torque at 5100 rpm

being as i know the car in standard trim does 160 bhp at the fly wheel does anyone know what sort of bhp lose im getting though the drive train and gearbox so as to calculate whats at the flywheel as the car got a stage 4 charger with 68 mm pulley ,sns anti lag chip full stainless steel exhuast (supersprint) and rsr outlet on the end of the charger,k&n panel filter drilled air box

your help is much appricated

sparks....... :o)

Personally, I wouldn't go for any other plug than bosch. the standard is WR6DPO (the 'O' is very important) and the G40 plug is good for modded ones but I would think a bit too cold for your mods. I'm sure someone more clued up will be along to answer soon.

Only use Bosche plugs and I went for the G40 plugs on my G60...not that modded (red tops, 68mm pulley, g werks chip) and all is well!!

found this excellent piece on transmission loses on the inter web hope it helps all

right off to get some bosch plugs

sparks......

Converting wheel bhp to flywheel bhp and vice versa

To reflect the fact that % losses are high for low powered cars and vice versa I use the following equations which have been found to correlate well with real world transmission losses.

FWD cars - add 10 bhp to the wheel figure and divide the result by 0.9

RWD cars - add 10 bhp to the wheel figure and divide the result by 0.88

4WD cars - add 10bhp to the wheel figure and divide the result by 0.84

To estimate the expected wheel bhp from a known flywheel bhp just reverse the equations

FWD - multiply flywheel power by 0.9 and then deduct a further 10 bhp

RWD - multiply flywheel power by 0.88 and then deduct a further 10 bhp

4WD - multiply flywheel power by 0.84 and then deduct a further 10 bhp

Remember, these percentages are not "gospel" - they are good realistic averages. The measured wheel bhp can change depending on tyre pressure, tyre size, suspension angles and other things which won't affect flywheel power - so the actual transmission loss % will also change. It pays to try and standardize as many of these things as possible if you intend to do a series of power runs over a period of time. Always use the same tyre pressure because this is a factor which can easily change from day to day and make sure the tracking is correct on a fwd car. Copyright David Baker and Puma Race Engines

Also please remember that the manufacturer's claimed power figures for a standard car are not gospel either. Even engines in perfect condition can vary by plus or minus 5% due to manufacturing tolerances. High mileage or poorly maintained engines can be well below the claimed output. It is no proof that a rolling road flywheel bhp estimate is correct just because it comes out as the same figure as the manufacturer's. Always compare with the measured wheel bhp to see if the transmission losses agree with the data above.

the g40 plugs a w5dpo and g60s are w6dpos ot something like that.

Both are platinum so have longer service life

Injectors. Only really needed if your thinkin of puttin a 65mm pulley on. Think they are ford v8 injectors, but they fit a corrado

nah i can do without the 20,000 g60 service on a 65mm pulley i quite like my 30,000 mile service on a 68mm till a save for the bbm rotor screw converison from g werk (move over mad max im a coming though !!!)

Thats why i never bothered puttin a 65mm on mine mate, the the disadvantages out weigh the advantages, but I got a good deal on the red tops

the g40 plugs a w5dpo and g60s are w6dpos ot something like that.

Both are platinum so have longer service life

both are platinum as they need to be to not melt. got similar mods to yours and fine on the standard plugs bosch w6dpo