Sign in to follow this  
yorkshireone

For anyone who has no idea about engine mechanics!

Im sure im not the only person on the forum who doesnt really have a clue about car mechanics. Sometimes I sit reading posts about compressions ratios, valve seat replacement and blablabla, Im sat staring blankly at the laptop. :? Well I bought a book yesterday called 'Hilliers Fundamentals of Motor Vehicle Technology' and Ive sat reading it most of the day. All I can say is that I really recommend this book, I now understand so much more about my Corrado and engines in general than before.

Costs about £15 off amazon, its written in plain english and has good diagrams along with the text.

Infact heres a link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hilliers-Fundamentals-Motor-Vehicle-Technology/dp/0748780998

Nice find. Wouldn't mind picking up a copy of this. Fed up of staring back blankly at friends from on here when they talk to me about engine internals, etc :)

Might buy that.

Half of the engine threads might aswell be in Japanese as far as I'm concerned at the mo :lol:

As far as I know this is the book they use in mechanical colleges to teach apprentices before they get let loose on real engines. Like I say, its easy to read and theres loads of diagrams to use as reference. Im sat here grinning like a cheshire cat because I finally know what a camshaft does lol :)

As far as I know this is the book they use in mechanical colleges to teach apprentices before they get let loose on real engines. Like I say, its easy to read and theres loads of diagrams to use as reference. Im sat here grinning like a cheshire cat because I finally know what a camshaft does lol :)

This is true, its the book I used (and still have) from my national diploma college course. Not that it helped that much, I now work in banking! :D Its a very useful tool and the newer editions are very good for someone with little or no knowledge, I would definitely recommend it if you want to know the basics of mechanics. However, it is not that complicated and quite a few of the threads still leave me scratching my head (the anti-lag turbo thread being a good example).

IIRC the camshaft spins at half engine speed and opens and shuts the valves.

Yes, this book is awesome. They've just bought out volume 3 as well. There are some good diagrams of Bosch injection systems that are pretty useful for the likes of us. :D

Ordered one after seeing this post.

Hope it will clear a few 'thingy me'jigs' and 'what'cha call it' explanations up for me. :D

This is also a very good example of what happens inside a valver engine, but done with computer animation