Sign in to follow this  
voo51

Help - broke my sunroof!!!!

Today I itted my new black sunroof lining. I took the sunroof off, then slid the original lining out and slid the new one in until it clicked in place. I refitted the motor and popped the plug back in. However, now, when I lock the doors the sunroof tilts up instead of closing. WHta have I done wrong??!

Yours is a late car isn't it?

Basically, use the sunroof switch to close the roof.

Remove the motor, leaving it plugged in, possibly with an assistant holding it. Lock the doors (the motor will park now) then refit the motor, and you should be fine.

It still does it. When I fit the sunroof lining it pushed the sunroof up and that is hoe I fiited it Maybe if I disconnect the motor and physically push the sunroof down and try again?

Did you actually remove the motor from the surround and allow it to run free from the mechanism when you locked the door?

The late motors (6 wires I think??) have little switches inside that tell them where the reaches the ends of it's range and the parked position. What you need is the motor in the parked position, and the roof in the parked position then re combine them.

Right, well, when I try to shut the sunroof from tilt it won't shut the whole way, it still has about an inch to go. I can only shut it be using the slide function. This has only happened since fitting the lining.

It does close completely when you use the slide then? And you have a 3 button switch for the sunroof? If so it does sound like the timing is out.

You press the switch to open or close the tilt, pull the switch don to open/close the tilt and push the switch forward or back to slide the roof forward or ackwards. Yes it closes completely on slide but not tilt.

I will have a go tomorrow at physically pushing the roof down, with the motor disconnected to hopefully counter act when the lining tilted the roof up when first fitted.

BIG PROBLEM......

my theory of pushing the sunroof down and backfired terribly. The sunroof now will not open or close properly. It is as though the drivers side is getting caught or the whole roof is now wonky. As te passeger rear corner lifts and moves well bu the drivers rear corner is a little delayed and doesnt close all the way by a few mm. Plus when trying to slide, the driver rear corner won't drop low enough to slide. Pushing it down had popped the sunroof lkiing out a little, do you think it just is not in place properly, causing te problem. Or, have I knackered the sunroof?????

Oh, and for those of you whoes sunroof opens when you lock your doors, just turn the motor plug round so the number match!!!!

Erm ... Replace it with a nice "airy" passat Moonroof? :confused4:

Sounds like cables have either stretched or one of the little mounts have broken... either way it's a take it all out job... may as well pull sunroof cassette out, and replace with a Glass Passat estate one!

You need to re time the roof, the cables on each side are out of alignment. if you can tilt it and slide the lining back.

You should be able to see a track attached to the metal sunroof by torx screws at the front and back. it's relatively straight toward the back but goes up and down at the front. the ends of the cables locate in this and as you move the cable back and forth it raises and lowers the roof. Pop the motor out and you can use a screw driver to move 1 cable at a time through the hole the motor sat in. Get both to exactly the same point and put the motor back in.

You'll still be miles out on the open/tilt/slide timing, but it will work again properly.

I have managed to fix the timing of the door locking and roof shutting by turning the motor plug around!

I really hope your advice works. We will be trying it probably sunday morning, providing it is not raining!

You need to re time the roof, the cables on each side are out of alignment. if you can tilt it and slide the lining back.

You should be able to see a track attached to the metal sunroof by torx screws at the front and back. it's relatively straight toward the back but goes up and down at the front. the ends of the cables locate in this and as you move the cable back and forth it raises and lowers the roof. Pop the motor out and you can use a screw driver to move 1 cable at a time through the hole the motor sat in. Get both to exactly the same point and put the motor back in.

You'll still be miles out on the open/tilt/slide timing, but it will work again properly.

When you say tilt it and slide the lining back. Do you meanslide the lining back into place or to the rear of the roof lining so it cannot be seen? If you mean that one, will it move back out the way when on tilt? I might give this a go tonight if it is not raining and still light when I finish work.

Here's the part I was talking about

2-19a.jpg

You want to get the part with the little chromed crank on it to the same point in the track between the two parts marked "Mounts"

Ok, thankyou. Sorry, just to clarify, will the sunroof liner move to the rear without having to remove all the headlining/ pillars etc?

Yeah. Slide the lining back and it unhooks from the mech, lower the "flap" down and slide it all forward, so the flap drops down flat, then push it back into the roof. Don't leave it slid back in the rain though as the water drains won't work and your lovely new interior will get damp. :)

Don't leave it slid back in the rain though as the water drains won't work and your lovely new interior will get damp. :)

And you also get a wet neck when you brake...

Right, I have got the lining out the way. I have looked at the mechanism, but cannot see any cables at the front of the roof on either side? I have taken pics, can you show me where the cables are?!