Sign in to follow this  
bigbroony

wiper motor

Further to my original post; see Single speed wipers, I've worked out that the motor is in fact dying.The wiper arms are free to move and the motor goes slower and slower and gets warm.I've ordered another but heres the problem;

Does the whole wiper frame have to come off to get at the motor or can the motor be unbolted from the frame while in the car?

I've read that the whole unit must be replaced as one so as to get the correct park crank angle.Is there a way around this as I've obviously got to disconnect the old motor to fit the new?

Cheers Alan.

I've ordered the motor.After having another look this afternoon it's obvious, even to a cack handed fool like me that the bracket's going to have to come off first.I'm assuming the plastic shroud round the wipers will have to come off before that.

The thing I'm most worried about is fitting the new motor to the linkage and getting the correct crank angle so that the wipers work properly!

Take pictures of the old one in situ and at each stage of the removal, and if like me you go for overkill mark the position of everything that may move.

Please stick to your original thread next time - there is nothing to be gained by starting a new topic.

The motor is easy to swap in situ, just note the position of the crank, 1x 13mm bolt hold this on and I think there are 3x 10mm bolts holding the motor on plus the electrical connection.

Photo's are a good idea.And yes I think I'll scribe everything in sight!Without using a mirror on a stick and being in possesion of incredibly tiny prehensile hands the bracket will surely have to come off.I'm a bit worried about rmoving the plastic flash panel but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do eh?

I ordered the motor yesterday morning and it's turned up this morning while I was at work.Service or what?All that remains is to see whether it works.It's not a VW part but it wasn't VW price either.If I have to go the VW route I'll have had the practice and should cut down the fitting time!!

Fortunately I no longer need the car on a daily basis ( company car pool ) otherwise I would have been outside now with a torch and extended vocabulary.

Alan.

Well I've just been out to "change the motor".Complete and utter failure!I assume the bracket that the motor's fitted to has to come off but I can't see how.The top end nearest the screen is inaccessable as far as I can tell.I managed to move the plastic finisher enough to see that there's no sign of a bolt.

All the bolts holding the motor on are underneath and I can't see a means of getting a spanner in there.Even if I could it would be impossible to align the crank afterwards.

Can anyone prove me wrong.

Cheers Alan.

I've seen the light, I think.I've just looked at some second hand motors+mechs on fleabay and the reason I can't find the "other" bolt is that there isn't one! So do I undo the only visible bolt and pull the whole thing away, having removed the wipers first?

Thanks a lot for that I was driven round the bend this morning.I'll have a look on my day off( Wednesday ).I've pulled the plastic finisher at the base of the screen almost off in error and now it doesn't fit flush.Is this going to let the weather in or is it not so important?

Alan.