Sign in to follow this  
steveo29

anyone diy fitted valve guides?

got a 8v polo engine im cleaning up , pretty sure the guides are shot

just wondered if anyone has any info on diy fitting em ..money is tight atm

valves-head006.jpg

I replaced the guides in an 8v GTI engine that I rebuilt. New guides for that had to be drifted in and then reamed to the correct size, as they crush slightly when fitted.

So to DIY you'd need some sort of tiny hone to open the guides out the fraction required. After you've done the guides you really want to get the valve seats re-cut as the bores in the valve guides will be in slightly different places.

Could you not get someone to replace the guides and cut the seats and do the rest yourself?

yeah im sure i could get them fitted somewhere, just asking if its doable at home as i have alot more spare time than spare cash lol

They just knock out and back in,best result is to use a old valve and weld a thick washer onto the them and use it as a punch to knock the new guides is,this method wont need to have them reamed out as they are a perfect fit for the guides(obviously) before fitting in the new guides measure the hight of the guide before you take them out (if they dont have a sleeve to sit against the head) and put the guides in the freezer over night,this will help.