Sign in to follow this  
Laser Mark

Whats This For?

I managed to remove the gator from around the Fuel Filler cap and started cleaning some of the dirt from around it only to find this spade clip on the end of a short length of wire.

Can anyone tell me whats its for? It doesn't look like it's been used in a while as its very badly corroded.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Might be the central locking for the flap that covers the petrol cap :shrug:

It's an earth wire. It connects to the metal of the filler neck but it not being attached is not a problem.

Many Corrados by now have had the connection 'cut' by it rusting.

Annoyingly Kips nugget at 20 years+ still has it intact!!!

Excellent, thanks Judith.

Once I get that bit cleaned out I'll see about crimping a new spade clip on there and fitting it back onto the filler neck

:D

Anti static wire for the fuel filler pipe neck. There so the Corrado doesn't built up static while filling with fuel and cause an electrical arc across the vapours. Ensures fuel filling pump nozzle and Corrado stay at same electrical potential. Static electricity is generated by the moving fuel. This can build up and arc across the exiting fuel vapours as the petrol tank fills up. Rare event but it has happened. Older cars like the Mk2 Scirocco have metal tank fillers so it is taken care of by the filler neck and a bolt connection in the inner rear wing.