Sign in to follow this  
Rams

WHO'S SHAVED THEIR DOORS

Hi there

I have started the process of shaving my doors so they have no handles and operate by solenoid. I am having difficulty and speaking to Waynos we are in the same boat.

Has anyone doen this mod? I would love some advise on this topic about the locking part of the latch etc.

Cheers Rams

I'm afraid I can't help. But if the battery goes flat then how on earth do you get into the car to pop the bonnet to get at it?

doors need to be able to be opened from the outside other wise it wont pass an mot, unless you know an mot'er or course :)

Hi there

The doors just need to open for the MOT, it doesnt state that it needs to be a handle so ok on that side of things...

I will have a system where I can operate the bonnet release if the battery dies, either by electric or manual release. Or have a way I can attach jump leads or battery pack to get power. Some actually rig up a wire / fishing line to the inner handle for emergency use but the solenoids use such a small amount of power, one would hope its enough to operate the door, if not, there are my alternative routes.

I am using water proof solenoids mounted into the bottom of the wing mirror and the doors open really nicely, a good force is acting on the door popper and it sounds reliable. The only problem Ive got at the moment is the door opens well but the door doesnt lock or the door doesnt open but locks when adjusting the cable on the solenoid. Waynos is doing his wiring / soelnoid on Saturday and together we are going to find a way to get it to work. Hes had his handles shaved already where as mine are not untill Im happy with the opening / locking. He has more confidence than me and seems to be very talented in what he does.

Think the best route is the internal release arm rather than the central locking pump / arm and finding a suitable place to mount the solenoid side ways inline with the release arm and it uses less force / movement. The rain has delayed things so far. Ive come close to sticking my original handles back in but hopefully its not going to be too difficult. Thats why I asked if anyone on here has done the mod for advise but it seems like its just Waynos and I.??

Its all to do with the pin slider on the mech, it needs to be fully back its its original position for the door to lock otherwise it won't and if you adjust it where the door pops, the release pin doesnt fully retract as it has more pressure pulling the latch down. So either something that works together, like joining the moving parts so it has to returned back fully, would work? If I can find a suitable place to mount the solenoid to work with the inner release arm, then happy days. Theres not much room around the window and the solenoids are sizeable to make them operate loads upto 14lbs.