Sign in to follow this  
Pat_McCrotch

2011 MOT Changes

QUOTE ~ 2011 VOSA changes to MOT

Still 13 months away until these new regulations come into force, but some interesting changes. From MOT from December 2011, the below changes will come into force, which will be very bad news for some.

HID lights – Specifically those aftermarket kits that give the very bright headlight beams. Any cars found with these kits will be an automatic MOT failure. Testers are able to easily spot the difference between HID kits, and manufacturer fitted Xenon’s. Easy to spot as Xenon cars have suspension level sensors, in car beam adjuster, and usually headlight washers.

Chipped ECU’s - Unsure of just how/if this one will realistically be enforced, but any cars with chipped ECU’s will in theory be an MOT failure. I can only assume VOSA have found an easy way of checking ECU software through the cars OBD port (diagnostic plug).

Wiring harness – The general condition of he wiring harness will be checked to make sure there is no rubbing or chaffing, and that the harnesses are in generally good condition. If unsecure, or damaged again MOT failure.

Airbag warning lights - If any warning lights are illuminated, it will again be an MOT failure.

Full details on the MOTester site

http://wrecks2riches.co.uk/2010/10/2011-changes-to-mot/

Not sure how they're going to go about some of these. Chipped ECUs for example, how much longer would the MOT test be made if they have to check the wiring looms.

As for the airbag warning lights, i thought that would already be an MOT failure :shrug:

hopefully with the chipped ecu check our cars will be to old to check as the obd is probably to old to hold this infomation might be wrong though bad news for revo and such like good old goverment killing our fun seeing as most chipped cars return better mpg they will still use the environmental band wagon as the reason though .

The chipped ECU is just unenforceable when you think about it. What would be the situation with a modified engine which needs to be remapped in order to function correctly? Also why would VOSA try and bring that rule in? I'm sorry but I just don't buy that one at all.

As for the airbag test, well I don't suppose that's something Corrado owners need to worry about. But it is slightly concerning that VOSA seem to be looking over the MOT rules for older cars again, and potentially moving the goalposts for older cars. That is a bit worrying....

By 'chipped ECUs', I suspect they will be targetting Diesel and petrol turbo engines. Both consume significantly more fuel in boost, so will be easy to detect on the gas analyser.

Chipped ECUs are far from more economical than standard ECUs, don't believe a word of it.

People like us who do sensible mods in harmony with the rest of the car have nothing to worry about. They are rightly clamping down on death traps.

As for my Xenon's - it makes my car safer to drive !!!!!!!!!

No logic in failing on a MOT when its for an improvement.

As for my Xenon's - it makes my car safer to drive !!!!!!!!!

No logic in failing on a MOT when its for an improvement.

Yes but it blinds other road users.

this will never happen.....hid's probably as most project a piss poor pattern when i test them,the rest i just cant see how you would enforce them,also when it comes to chipped/mapped ecu's as long as it passes the emissions test whats the problem?

Not being funny but if you go through the original link onto the MOT Tester's site which the article quotes there's no mention of any of these changes, which makes me a little suspicious of the actual reporting.

I also have a feeling that if stuff like aftermarket HIDS and chipping was going to be banned there would have been an uproar in the mainstream as well as the motoring press by now. But I havn't seen a thing there either. I'm tempted to call the whole article bulls***...